legal???

watg?

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This may have already been asked and answered, if so I apologize. In a KCBS contest is it legal to use a microwave oven to heat the items in the box before turn in? Not to cook with, just to add some heat before heading to the judges. If it is illegal, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to get a warm product to the scoring table other than an insulated carrying bag?

I think it's a no-no

My gut feel is that it is NOT legal….:twisted: If I recall the only ‘fuel’ that is allowed is wood and charcoal…. Now if you have a microwave that runs on charcoal….:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

it is absolutly illegal to use anything to warm the food except a wood fired pit. You may hold in a cooler or kambro to keep it hot until prep time, but nothing using propane or electricity and that includes microwaves or gas fired ovens.

For me, during a contest, ribs, pork and brisket are usually coming out of a cooler after resting for a bit and are still to hot to handle, and chicken is coming right off the pit.

If needed, you may return it to your pit to set glazes and warm stuff up a bit before going into the boxes, but thats it.. NO ELECTRIC OR GAS.

honestly, if you use a cooler or kambro to hold the meats, there is NO reason to heat it up. They are very hot when the time comes. Also, keep in mind, the hotter the product when it goes into the box, the more they will wilt the greens. When u close the box, it becomes a little steamroom.

No way, Jose. Wouldn't want to wilt the garnish anyway. Food temp isn't a consideration in KCBS judging. Doesn't need to be hot. Appearance, Taste, Tenderness. Temp shouldn't come into play.

My $0.02.
Aaron

Very illegal... so illegal that you'd get banned for 2 years from contests for that...

You could microwave a sauce... but NEVER EVER meat that was going into a turn in box.

my ribs and chicken come off the pit and into the box, the pork and brisket comes out of a cooler... and is so hot that I need to wear insulated gloves to pick it up. AS long as you aren't cutting or pulling meat too far in advance, you should be fine.

I didn't even know you could use a alternative heat sources to warm sauce.

Very illegal... so illegal that you'd get banned for 2 years from contests for that...

You could microwave a sauce... but NEVER EVER meat that was going into a turn in box.

my ribs and chicken come off the pit and into the box, the pork and brisket comes out of a cooler... and is so hot that I need to wear insulated gloves to pick it up. AS long as you aren't cutting or pulling meat too far in advance, you should be fine.

So, heating a sauce on a gas stove is legal, correct?

it is absolutly illegal to use anything to warm the food except a wood fired pit. You may hold in a cooler or kambro to keep it hot until prep time, but nothing using propane or electricity and that includes microwaves or gas fired ovens.

For me, during a contest, ribs, pork and brisket are usually coming out of a cooler after resting for a bit and are still to hot to handle, and chicken is coming right off the pit.

If needed, you may return it to your pit to set glazes and warm stuff up a bit before going into the boxes, but thats it.. NO ELECTRIC OR GAS.

honestly, if you use a cooler or kambro to hold the meats, there is NO reason to heat it up. They are very hot when the time comes. Also, keep in mind, the hotter the product when it goes into the box, the more they will wilt the greens. When u close the box, it becomes a little steamroom.

I do the same thing, holding my finished products in the cooler before boxing. At dover we had a good spot out of the wind to build our boxes. The pork was to hot to handle coming out of the cooler. But, by the time it was pulled, sorted, sauced and boxed, there was no warmth left. So it went into the box at air temp. I was thinking, if I could zap that pile o pork in the micro, it would solve the problem. But, I had a funny feeling that it was not legal. thanks for the info.

By the time that it gets turned in, re-numbered, taken to the judges, opened and scored for appearance and passed around the judges table, chances are that it is not very hot anymore. I can't remember ever judging an entry that was HOT. Once in a while some warm ones, but most are pretty well cold.

I have always used charcoal to reduce or heat sauces. I might need to read the rules. LOL

We have used microwaves to warm sauce in the past but most of the time, I try to remember it early enough that I can put a bottle or two in the smoker. We also reduce brisket drippings and other "secret" ingredients in a pan over a hotplate as well before dumping it on briskets we're wrapping.

When i judged the Hudson Valley ribfest this past August all of the ribs were ice cold except one, man this thing was almost to hot to touch.The other 5 judges were so impressed with this Maybe they didnt know about the microwave rule:rolleyes: Just Kidding.

Thanx. Got any pix?
Everytime im at RD i am so tempted to purcahse one of those. They always have black or grey so i dont. I would only get blue to match my thermapen, besides the blue cambros hold heat better than the other colors

Last edited:
we use a truck cooler works great but now i dont know if its ilegal i will have to find out

Back