New Masterbuilt Gravit Feed

I'm not sure it's really negativity.

Straight up? Masterbuilt has something of a reputation- warranted or not. (cheap, cheap, cheap)

This cooker is a different type of beast entirely- nothing quite like it. (as far as I know)

The "old school" cooker owners (1/4" or nuthing- bigger is better, etc..) are understandably skeptical - this might even apply to pellet cooker owners, they are now part of the "real cooker owners" group.

First wave of pellet cookers were probably given the same treatment. I'm in NO way saying the Masterbuilt is the same sort of game changer as pellets - but still could be a thing.

Oh I 100% agree with what you've said. I knew I was taking a chance but so far it works great. Like said before durability can only be proven with time. If something goes wrong with mine it'll be posted for sure.

Surprised at all the negativity around this unit. The only person that has one is cranking out killer looking food. Nothing wrong with a $500 unit even if it is not built to last a lifetime. It might be the unit that finally convinces someone to take the leap and start into this crazy hobby.

Same. It is a pretty big leap in cooker tech, IMO. Nothing like it on the market, and the price is very reasonable. I don't expect it to outlast the nuclear holocaust like a Yoder, but I bet with reasonable care, you will get around 5 years out of it.

Did a 9lb brisket yesterday. Seasoned with kosmos hot cow cover and fresh cracked black. Used royal oak lump with cherry and hickory wood mixed in. Lol didn't get a chance to slice because I fell asleep during the rest. Will cut into it for dinner tonight.

Attachments

• 20191221_234117.jpg
    20191221_234117.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 345
Just saying, when I saw "gf" my thought was 'girl friend'. Damn, I need to understand BBQ better! That's why I'm here! :clap:
COS, IVC, UDS, ECB, WSM
And I'm sure I missed plenty. Don't even get me started on meats... Welcome and let us know if you need anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reheated to 140° in casserole dish wrapped in foil with a little water. Point didn't have much of a smoke ring but it was definitely the star of the show even though I sliced the wrong way lol. Outer edge of the flat was dry but towards the middle it was nice and tender.

Attachments

• 20191222_201140.jpg
    20191222_201140.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Did some reverse sear ribeyes last night for dinner. After bringing it 120 I pulled them off and cranked the temp to 500 and had a grease fire so shut it down and finished in a skillet on the stove. I did do a good clean before the cook but the grease fire started in the manifold (where the heat and smoke come from). So lesson learned do a burn off after every cook. I don't knock the 560 for this because it can happen to any grill/smoker if not cleaned or burned off. Ribeyes tasted great. Was going for medium rare but it finished medium instead. Pictures don't show it well. Also this thing gets up to searing temps FAST.

Last edited:
I had one of these in my cart at Amazon a week or so ago. They hadn't had any in stock when I'd been looking and then 1 popped up and so I thought I needed to jump on it. I then went to see if there were any rumors about the bigger one and when I was done it was gone. I noticed today they had some but I think I'm going to wait on the bigger model.

Read though a lot of the posts with all the naysayers given the G.F 560 a bad rap........ why waste you typing skills about something you know nothing about as you don’t own one!
I’m not trying come off with and attitude it just gets old after a while I’m sure you can agree with that if not then get your big boy pants on then.

What I can say as I do own one is for the $500 price tag you get a nice footprint the everyday backyard bbqer that doesn’t want to spend the $3k price for a higher end G.F smoker. I loaded the shoot with 14lbs of Kingsford briquettes and did the burn process along with seasoning the grill grates then moved on to cook up some chicken wings and then finished the day off with 8 lbs of pork belly burnt ends. I will say the unit work flawlessly held temps with 5 degrees according to my digital thermometer, out of the 14lbs of Kingsford briquettes I still have a good 4lbs left over after all said and done. The ash bucket had nothing but ash in there and what was in there was little bites of my chunks of wood I added for extra smoke flavor.

Know I did add a piece of expanded metal to the slide out tray where the charcoal comes down the shoot so it forced the charcoal to burn longer before falling into the ash bucket, also added a piece of foil to the top of the shoot as most owners that own a G.F smoker would understand that. I also added 2 full slide out grill grates in place of the 1/2 grill grates that come with the unit.

Did some beef ribs the other night. Turned out great.

Last edited:
For about a year and a half my 26 kettle with a poortex was my go to for wings. I think the 560 has replace it.

Looks great! Details? Cooking temp? Process? Inquiring minds wanna know [emoji851]

Used akorn big block lump. Added one layer of lump then 4 small pecan wood chunks and filled the hopper up with lump a little over halfway. Wings were seasoned with Tony chachere (normally like kosmos hot cow cover but was out). Cooked for about 50 minutes at 320.

Masterbuilt did a video on Facebook live. Essentially every part of this grill is replaceable, so I feel like I will get my money's worth. It's been great so far.

I saw a couple of people somewhere else that said the meat from the 560 was not as tender as they liked. I don't see why that would be the fault of the cooker. Anyone here feel the same way?

Back