• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

HD Inspected Again

M

McClung

2nd comp in a row that HD has shown up and done an inspection. I was glad I had set everything up and even more happy that he just gave me a friendly reminder about gloves when making the putting green!

HD stepping it up anywhere else?

When we've seen them, they've been REALLY diligent (NM and CA). Most of them are extremely happy when they see three wash basins, on-demand hot water, a Thermapen, a food holder and gloves -- and see these things used.

The times I've had a problem with them are when they show up at 10:30 Saturday morning and pestered teams right through turn-ins. We've flat had to tell them "I'm not vending, and I don't have time to chat just now."

The HD around here has only tried to be tough with us once. When they saw the coolers had temp probes with a temp log, they pretty much leave us alone.

Just got an e-mail for the upcoming Birch Bay, WA comp and spoke to TW about that counties HD regulations. They won't tolerate our individual booths 3 basins and OD hot water setups, so we have to use a communal setup similar to the Bothell comp to vend for the charity. At first I was P/O'd that the organizers pull this crap after you register, but decided to just roll with it, since there are a few Canadian teams that will have to take the Food Handlers class just to compete.

The King County HD inspection we got at Black Diamond was a courtesy call, and it seems like each county has its own regulations even though our health cards are statewide, it looks like they are gonna get more $tringent.

Are you vending at Birch Bay?? You got a dessert and sauce? If I wasn't on mandatory OT Sat (love taking the county's money though) I'd come help you.

Gloves when doing the puttin' greens?
WOW...but it's perfectly normal for national tv shows and commercials showing food being prepped without a single glove in sight...hmmm.

They're running it strictly in accordance with what they're teaching in FH class. Gloves or tongs, wiping probe between samples, rinsing greens before arranging etc etc etc. They've checked water temps, bleach concentrations, and temped all the meats. I guess bottom line is to just getting used to doing business that way from now on. I think that's funny on the triple sink Brian since your set-up was identical to the communal one at Bothell!

I met a bunch of them when I helped teach them a class and they are up at the airport, I ought to stop by their office and see what's up.

I suspect it won't be too long before money hungry municipalities see an opportunity for funds and start requiring a one day "Competition" HD permit for some $$fee and a requisite HD inspection along with some kind of additional $$fee for that.:roll:

I suspect it won't be too long before money hungry municipalities see an opportunity for funds and start requiring a one day "Competition" HD permit for some $$fee and a requisite HD inspection along with some kind of additional $$fee for that.:roll:

Philadelphia just started to do that. $40 for a temp. license and HD inspection for a one day comp.

I just got an E-mail informing all teams competing in Birch Bay the HD will not allow any pre-trimmed meats, must be from a confirmed USDA approved source with original packaging.

No pillow chicken from me!

That day has past. My health department (St. Louis County) wants each team to have a permit for next year. $35 a team!

In '08 they told me we didnt need one and in '09 he calls me the thursday before the event, changing his mind. He let us go this year :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That day has past. My health department (St. Louis County) wants each team to have a permit for next year. $35 a team!

In '08 they told me we didnt need one and in '09 he calls me the thursday before the event, changing his mind. He let us go this year :rolleyes::rolleyes:

See this is what I don't get. As competition teams we are not serving to the public. We are giving our food to six judges, who volunteer to eat and judge our food--for free. I could understand it if there was any serving to the public going on i.e. vending, people's choice, etc., but if there is not, I really don't see how an HD would have any authority to enforce their regulations. An HD's job is to prevent to spread of foodborn disease and protect an otherwise unknowing public from potential harm that could result in eating that Whopper with Cheese from Burger King. It seems to me any judge would be aware of these inherent risks, and therefore would not need protecting.

I'm sure I am preaching to the choir here, so I apologize for that, I just don't see how we fall under the purview of the law here and I find that frustrating. Thanks for being a sounding board!

They have the authority to shut down the whole competition if they want to, unless it is entirely on private property, and is not open to the public.

See this is what I don't get. As competition teams we are not serving to the public. We are giving our food to six judges, who volunteer to eat and judge our food--for free. I could understand it if there was any serving to the public going on i.e. vending, people's choice, etc., but if there is not, I really don't see how an HD would have any authority to enforce their regulations. An HD's job is to prevent to spread of foodborn disease and protect an otherwise unknowing public from potential harm that could result in eating that Whopper with Cheese from Burger King. It seems to me any judge would be aware of these inherent risks, and therefore would not need protecting.

I'm sure I am preaching to the choir here, so I apologize for that, I just don't see how we fall under the purview of the law here and I find that frustrating. Thanks for being a sounding board!

This is another thing too. I fill out the registration forms and send in my checks, then down the road, someone has the bright idea to vend for charity and the HD gets involved and now we can't even prep at home and we are almost strongarmed into participating-some teams don't have FH permits, new teams and solo cooks are struggling just to play the game and then they throw vending in the mix!
Even when you say I'm not vending, they say its for the Judges protection.

Or there's a chili comp going on that's sampling to the public!

Back