Why I love BBQ

smokinbutts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was in the service and finally decided to get out, one of the things that I kept when I moved was my smoker... Was it a fancy one? No not at all Walmart special but I could make some great Q on it... My wife and son moved to a new neighborhood and that smell of oak and cherry floating in the air had people swing by and say hey what do you have going on there? I met a friend who lives a few houses down from me and he loved my Q... I decided it was time for me to upgrade and give him my older smoker. He was nervous did some beer can chickens that come out great but it was always on weekends and we always hung out and Q'd pretty much together. Today he did his first Boston Butt on his own I came home from work had a brew and just hung out while it finished up, we talked he pulled the meat and it was amazing... Because of smoke that went though the neighborhood I have a great friend and we make some great Q... I wish people would put down there tablets throw out there phones and say hey, what you got going on there it smells farkin good!

Thanks for listening!

:grin::grin::grin:

Thanks for your service, and this year for me, is similar -
built my UDS, had a couple neighbors check it out,
gave 'em some ribs, then 'pork burnt ends'.
Now we're back and forth talking "Q" one guys a chef,
and we're aiming to get a street cookoff going.
The guy across the street is good, but I should, w/ the UDS,
22 , 18 , and Smokey Joe, WIN,
I would be able to ply the crowd w/ snacks - burnt pork ends - and basically buy votes.
Should be fun!

I have met most of my neighbors because of what they call "the fog". They smell the wood and charcoal burning and they know I'm cookin something. My neighbor i share part of my fenceline with she will yell over the fence what I'm cooking. She is ok with me not giving her brisket, ribs or chicken, but the moment I mention pulled pork, she is walking around and demanding some. Her and her hubby have told everybody in the neighborhood and all their friends that I have made the best pulled pork they have ever had.

All my other neighbors have gotten to have some as I invited them over for my 3 cookouts last summer. They don't come around though when they smell the fire going, I kind of wish they did.

Great post!!! That's what Q is all about!
Thanks so much for your service, I appreciate it. :cool:

Q unites people no matter if it is the back yard ,competition or on the world wide web .Share Your food and Your time with some one and You will make friends .Nice post .Maybe Our world leaders should have a bbq .Most importantly thanks for Your service so I can enjoy My bbq with friends and family .

Great story and thank you for your service. Q has been great for myself and family. It brings people together which is a great thing for us and to teach our children. Instead of them sitting in front of the tv, they are enjoying the company of their friends and will build lasting relationships. Technology has hurt this greatly and I think our kids will be better off for it.

Thanks all for the appreciate of my service, I miss parts of it but I could never find good Q in Afghanistan! My buddy and I mentioned above our going to a competition to check it out neither one of us have ever been to one, I want to see how its like because I plan to compete in September... Here a pic of the team lol, my Apron says trust me I am a software Engineer and his says trust me Im a cop!

good times!

Attachments

• 20140510_171647.jpg
    20140510_171647.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 98
That's a great story. I have made a few friends in the neighborhood due to the smell of my Q as well.

No doubt, BBQ is an icebreaker of sorts. I'm not sure, but something tells me that this has been true for literally hundreds of years. It seems to facilitate (and invite) people shooting the breeze and having a good time over some comfort food and perhaps a few cold ones.

Back