Brine or No Brine

PigskinBarbeque

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It was suggested to me that I should brine some chicken I'm going to cook as opposed to just straight smoking.
For those of you who have brined chicken in the past, can you share the pros and cons of doing so?

Thanks

The only con of brining chicken is that you have to plan your chicken cook accordingly so you get proper brine time.

If I have a chicken/turkey cook planned I always brine.

However I do not always brine if I cook chicken or turkey because the cook is impromptu and needs to be done within 1-2 hours which doesn't allow for proper brining time.

No question. Brine! Remember to rinse the meat after the brine or it will be very salty. Even if it's just a basic salt and water brine with no 'secret ingredients', a good brining will do nothing but help!
Always used the ratio of 1 cup salt per gallon of water. Great results every time. Brine whole turkey's for at least 12 hours... as many as 16.

There was a thread last week about bite-thru skin. They were all against brine. Basically said to mix mayo with rub and cook. I'm trying it today with no brine.

I guess for me a follow up question is,
whats the purpose of using a brine?

Brine will allow you to get added flavor all the way through the meat. If you do not brine or marinade you will just be getting flavor on the skin or surface of the meat where the seasoning touches it.

Also you will come out with a moist chicken if you brine, provided you cook it properly. If you overcook your chicken it will still turn out to be dry.

With brining becareful with how long you brine for. If you brine too long, you have the possibility of making the chicken too salty. I will do separate parts for 3-4 hours, a whole chicken I'll let it go 6-8 hours. A turkey I'll do overnight.

Oh also if you brine, make sure you take it out and allow the chicken to drain. Pat dry with towel or paper towel and place in the fridge for 2-4 hours to allow the skin to dry out so you can get a nice bite through crispy skin.

Not a big fan of brining. It seems to always make my chicken taste hammy. I've cut the salt by half and brine time is about 2 hours max, rinse well then light coat of seasoning du jour. The only flavor that comes through is ham. I must be doing something wrong.

Though I will say this one is very tasty and not the hammy taste I normally get.
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/11/ultimate-thanksgiving-turkey-brine.html

Not a big fan of brining. It seems to always make my chicken taste hammy. I've cut the salt by half and brine time is about 2 hours max, rinse well then light coat of seasoning du jour. The only flavor that comes through is ham. I must be doing something wrong.

Though I will say this one is very tasty and not the hammy taste I normally get.
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/11/ultimate-thanksgiving-turkey-brine.html

If you are using PatioDaddio's brine and it doesn't give you the hammy taste, but the other brines you do give the chicken a hammy taste, the flavor profile of your brines are off.

I have made different brines, including PatioDaddio's, and haven't gotten the hammy taste as I use flavors that compliment chicken. Stuff like lemon juice, thyme, rosemary, old bay, higher volume of salt in the salt/sugar ratio etc. (All ingredients listed were in different brines and not all in 1 brine)

I didn't brine the chicken I did on the PBC last week... it was the most tender and juicy chicken I've ever cooked. No more brine for me if I'm cooking on that. If I'm cooking on the weber gasser, or in the oven it will get brined.

Most birds I get are in solution already. It takes long enough to dry that crap off of them for me to do it all again. Brines can affect the skin and make the meat mushy.

I'm no pro but when I brine my chicken it always comes out great. Just remember if you have a lot of salt in the brine to watch the amount of salt you rub on afterwards .

I'm not a fan of brines. I used PatioDaddio's brine on a Thanksgiving turkey last year and it turned out great. I have used other brines in the past that either didn't accomplish anything or had an adverse affect....mushy, salty or just didn't taste good.
If I brine, I'll use PatioDaddio, most likely for turkey. For chicken I'll use rub and smoke.

Back