View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Exocet
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First Cook on the UDS = BBQ Coma (w/ pron)

Cooked a Boston Butt on the UDS today. First cook for me.

Had an almost 6 lb Boston Butt. Rubbed it last night, wrapped it, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Fired up the UDS with about 6 lbs of Kingsford, plus 4 chunks of hickory. Started the cook at about noon. Temps held pretty steady at about 250-260 deg. Ran a little hotter early on. Added some baked beans around 4 pm. Unfortunately, by 7 pm it was at 175 deg internal temperature, but not ready to make pulled pork yet. Since, everyone was hungry, we had to settle for chopped & sliced pork. But, great flavor, juicy, and a nice smoke ring. As I was chopping and slicing it, I don't know how much I ate!

Here's a shot before I pulled it off a wrapped it to let it rest for 30 min. You can see I had a few moments of weakness and started picking at it.

When my wife saw it, she said "where's the BBQ sauce?". Seriously? My daughter responded "this is freaking good, you don't need any BBQ sauce". My sentiments exactly. My wife is used to the "Tub-O-BBQ" you get at the grocery store. You know, the stuff that's about 75% sauce.

So, after a huge sandwich, baked beans, fresh corn on the cob, and a cold Octoberfest, I was stuffed. Now, it's time to veg out with some football.

I think some ribs are in order for next weekend! And, leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote