BSK 2000 or Akorn Kamado?

Capnspunky

Reaction score
Hey gang, Im new to the forum for posting but I have been reading for quite some time. Its a great place to learn. I am about to get a new smoker and upgrade from my vertical style master forge but Im not sure what to get. The wife has been approval on either a bsk 2000 or an Akorn Kamado. I tried to talk her into and egg or primo, but I lost that battle. My local BJ's wholesale sells the Big Steel Keg for 499 and lowes and Gander Mountain have the Akorn for 299. I am kinda torn on what to do here and was hoping for some advice.

Akorn:
Pros: larger cooking surface, price, top rack, cast iron grates with opening for more coals, seems to be a decent cooker.

Cons: longevity ? Build quality ? Insulation vs BSK, Harder to put in a table

BSK 2000

Pros: Easier to put in a table, insulation, build quality, proven track record, works with bge accessories, fairly heavy

Cons: Smaller Cooking surface, no top rack (that im aware of), stainless steel grates vs cast iron, slighly more expensive.

Any help is appreciated, and please feel free to add on to the pros or cons. Those are just the ones that I could think of off top of my head. Thanks for helping!!!!!

Don't know much about the Akorn, but my bubba keg has served me well for a few years now. It's kind of kicked my large egg out of rotation. But not my medium egg, love that thing.

I can't offer any help in regards to the two mentioned cookers as I have no experience with them. I'm sure they're both great as I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Have you considered Kamado Joe? It's an excellent ceramic cooker. Slightly more expensive, but it comes with a lifetime warranty, well worth it.

Had the original version - the Bubba Keg.
Bought one - and borrowed two more for a troop cook.

Worked and cooked side by side with 3 Big Green Eggs... no problem.

Friend has BSK 3000 and loves it. Pricier than Acorn but better made. 2000 lacks some of the features (2 level grid) but quality is same.

I've had good results with my Akorn. I DO need to go ahead and order a couple of spare gasket/seal replacements. I don't think you can use the felt/Nomex type that the other ceramic cookers use.

I wish Chargriller's webpage was better set up to show this stuff.

I've never owned any other types of kamados but have cooked on both BGE and Primo.

For $299 I just didn't see where I'd go wrong with the Akorn. It is light enough that I was able to put it in the bed of my truck last Tuesday and drive over to a buddy's house for some grilling fun.

I'll always have a need for it even after I get the XL BGE that I really want next.

The keg is getting cheaper and cheaper. Plastic and more plastic. No shelves. Not portable unless you build a table.

@ $500 where you live is a rip off.

The Akorn also has a removable ash pan and doesn't get hot on the outside.

Be a man and buy what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer the primo xl oval but I have the problem of owning two houses at the moment. Do we have set a budget. I think I may be leaning akorn at the moment based on its features. Apparently they also have a new model coming out that is triple walled so that should help with some heat loss. Actually though the keg was a good deal a 500. What does it sell at down there in atl ?

I still have a Bubba Keg. I let one go to a brethren who really wanted it and has taken good care of it and even passed it on to another brethren since I let it go. I have looked over the akorn at Lowes. To me, the keg is a better cooker. But, for the $$$, the akorn isn't a bad choice. If I could afford a keg over an akorn, I'd go with the keg. If not, the akorn would suffice just fine.

I still have a Bubba Keg. I let one go to a brethren who really wanted it and has taken good care of it and even passed it on to another brethren since I let it go. I have looked over the akorn at Lowes. To me, the keg is a better cooker. But, for the $$$, the akorn isn't a bad choice. If I could afford a keg over an akorn, I'd go with the keg. If not, the akorn would suffice just fine.

But you're talking about your experience with the older kegs...

The OP is referring to the newer ones.

The newer bsk2000 doesn't seem near as nice as what I have seen in the past when it was bubba keg. However it still feels heavier than the akorn. If it had the same grate features that the akorn has with it, then would be a no brainer for me.

Last edited:
Does the bsk come with a cast iron grate? The akorn comes with a really nice one. Some bsk's do and some don't.

I have a akorn and owned the bubba keg for a couple years. The bubba keg is a better quality grill but it primarily due to the porcelain coated finish. Unfortunately they slapped a terrible quality paint over it that easily comes off and looks bad. The akorn paint seems to be holding up better but it needs to to protect from rust.

I loved my bubba keg but everything that made it awesome was stripped off the 2000. Ive had 6 kamados and the akorn is my favorite at any price. Its just very fortuitous it happens to be the cheapest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

i have an akorn. if you didnt know the akorn is now available with a side table like the weber performer. you cant beat it for the price. i cant offer any insight on the BSK. i do however know you'll be super happy with either of these kamado cookers.

oh yeah, if you havent already, check out the Akorn videos on youtube by mancavemeals.

I have been using the Akorn for the restaurant. I need a small insulated cooker and this fit the bill. I have done two pork butts on the smoker several times. I can get a smaller brisket done in 6-8 hours. Chickens about an hour and a half. A couple things that you can do that are cheaper without buying the Char-Griller accessories.

I took a charcoal grate from an extra Weber and put that over the charcoal and then bought fire brick to put on the grate. You can also use a 14-15" pizza stone that will be like the BGE plate setter. The fire brick are great, because they act as a heat sink inside the cooker. Thermal mass is what is missing on this cooker and the brick add that. Check Home Depot, there is a picture here of the new Akorn, it is $30 more.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152569

I saw in an earlier thread that they had one with a table now. I wold love to find it on a website but I can't find it anywhere.

Back