Buying a BGE advice needed

fsckedagain

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I can get a Large BGE for my total budget out the door, no accessories. Or I can get a medium BGE out the door with 200 left for accessories. Which would be the smarter move?

I would really hate to buy the medium and find it is a tad too small. But is there any "must haves" that can't wait a couple weeks or so with whatever the BGE comes with?

I have some UDSs and find that the large BGE is small in comparison. Sure do like it tho. You need a platesetter or equivalent device from the start for sure. The rest you can make or buy when you can. I made my table yesterday using left over lumber and spent $18 for wheels and screws. Trading a VW trans for a stainless steel formed top.
003-6.jpg

ok, I need more pictures of that table setup, I have 2 UDS and 2 mini UDS also. This will be more for grilling, pizzas, and some smaller smokes.

I am gonna have to build a table very similar to that one :D

I can at least answer a grill question for once. And size really does matter as Jim points out.

First let me ask you a few questions?

1.How big is your faimly?
2.Do you plan on going to cook outs and showing off your skillz?
3.Are you strong enough to lug around a 200 pound grill?

I would get the large one if it were me!

You can always add accessories, but you can't add size.

I have both a medium and a large and suggest you go for the large.

I can at least answer a grill question for once. And size really does matter as Jim points out.

First let me ask you a few questions?

1.How big is your faimly?
2.Do you plan on going to cook outs and showing off your skillz?
3.Are you strong enough to lug around a 200 pound grill?

I would get the large one if it were me!

1.) 3 for this discussion
2.) maybe :D I get rave reviews all the time with a weber kettle and barrel, so I think this will only make me better.
3.) No but I am crafty like McGyver LOL

1.) 3 for this discussion
2.) maybe :D I get rave reviews all the time with a weber kettle and barrel, so I think this will only make me better.
3.) No but I am crafty like McGyver LOL
Deffently get the Large one, and if you can hornswaggle the guy try to the the last XL bge.

Oh really quick, It's NOT the tool, it's the cook.
However I believe it's the tool & the cook working together.

Go with the large.

I have an XL and a large and as others have said size does matter....just ask my wife. :becky:

I originally wanted an XL BGE having previously owned a 3 burner Jen Air, and a good size offset. I just couldn't imagine being confined to 18" grill.

The price was a bit out of reach though, so I began considering the Large Egg. Then I saw a Big Steel Keg (BSK) in a Menard's and decided I had to get one even though it was only 18" (they do not have a larger size).

While I love the BSK, and have only cooked on it 10 times or so, I really wish I had a bit larger cooker. I think anything smaller than 18" would be difficult to use if you cook for more than two, and cook more than just one type of food, meat, veggies, beans, bread at the same time(s).

The intent of my reply is to address your question about size, so I'm not trying to "sell" you a BSK, but you might want to take a look at 'em. You get the cooker, all the accessories you need for about $700. (the old Bubba's, the BSK predecessor can still be found for $300-$450)

Last edited:
Owned a medium for 5 years and upgraded to a large.
Get the large.
You won't be sorry.

Paul

Thanks a lot everyone. I think I am going for the large. As far as the bubba is concerned. I am too impatient to wait for anything to ship to me :D

The only thing I can get close is a Primo (850 for a medium?!?) or drive 30 miles nad get a large BGE for 750 out the door.

I would go for a large and add accessories later as the large is so much more flexible on big cooks - especially with the higher dome that allows you to cook on multiple stacked levels. Both BGE and Primo are great products so you will have to balance the advantages of each as well. I have always had BGEs but Primos are made in America and the oval shape would make rib cookouts a little easier. Is there an eggfest like event in your area where you could get a very lightly used demo egg for a couple of hundred dollars less?

Does the 750 include the nest? If not - you building a table?

I say go for the large - have had mine for almost 3 years and love it - want another.

Last edited:
ok, I need more pictures of that table setup, I have 2 UDS and 2 mini UDS also. This will be more for grilling, pizzas, and some smaller smokes.

I am gonna have to build a table very similar to that one :D

Just google "big green egg table". There seem to be lots of indepth designs. I looked at a few of those and at one at the store and then built my own. I built mine 26"Wx 50"Lx 36" counter height so I could get it through man doors and not take up alot of storage space. I like to put it away when I'm travelling. I used the cut out for a fold up shelf to make up for the loss of length and Most of my design was a function of the scrape wood I had around.
I started on a metal cart to hold two UDS' but its only been a year and I haven't finished yet.:redface:

I've had my Large BGE about a year and use it often. At least once a week. Just cooking for my wife and I and I often use all the grill space I have. Recommend a large as I couldn't imagine having smaller.

Never ran out of room for bigger cooks as I got the adjustable grid system as opposed to a plate. When cooking for more than two of us I just go vertical! And get spyder for high heat sears with small amounts of lump.

check out ceramicgrillstore.com

Back