W

woodfolks

I saw a youtube clip and the guy
said that no greens were alowed for
the pork. I think he said it was KCBS

Do all entries for comp use or allow greens

THe other thing I have noticed is that a lot of the boxes
I have seen pics of have more then 6 pices in them

Do you want it to look full so add more and 6 is the min.?

Woodfolks, good to hear from new people interested in getting into the competition ring. It's a lot of fun and one hell of a experience.

Yes, you can put in the same greens in pork turn ins as the other KCBS turn in boxes - greens are optional for KCBS in all 4 categories. You can also put in as many pieces in your box as you wish as long as each judge gets one serving - so at least 6 different pieces/portions.

Have you checked out the Roadmap yet? If not, click on the link below and you'll find a wealth of knowledge that can help ya get started.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13677

The road map is the bomb!

Thanks this gives me a lot of great info.
I ordered a WSM and cant wait to get going

The only real probelm Im having is Finding Brisket
Tried Sams and my Meat market (where I get my pigs)
Will call his supplyer on Mon. They dont usally have it.

Do you want it to look full so add more and 6 is the min.?
You want to give the judges a choice. If you put in only 6 pieces then the last judge has no choice. That's our thoughts anyway.

I see you are from Plattsburgh. I was born there....many, many, many...years ago.

Dave

Woodfolks...

Scroll down to the Google search at the bottom of the page and search for "turn-in boxes" or something similar. There are lots of threads on here where folks have posted thier boxes and we have critiqued them. This will give you a good idea about what guys are turning in and what others have to say about them. Also, a Gogle image search will also yield a lot of sample boxes.

I think I watched the same video on You Tube and I don't think he said that garnish isn't allowed for pork, I think he said that he doesn't feel that it is necessary. Check out the rules linked above and memorize them. It may save you from a DQ down the road.

Also, if you can find a CBJ class near you, go! Even if you don't want to judge it will give you a lot of insight into what happens at the judging table and what the judges are told to look for. It's inexpensive and is a good use of a Saturday.

Back