American Royal dis-qualifies IBCA 2013?

YokeUp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looks like all IBCA events will no longer qualify for the Royal.
Sanctioning Body Criteria:
[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must have a physical address.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must be a registered business within the state of its physical address, whether for-profit or otherwise, and must provide a state certificate of good standing.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must have printed rules, including disciplinary action for rules violations.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must be able to provide printed, complete, contest results, including tabulated judging details and number of teams competing.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must sanction a minimum of ten (10) BBQ competitions in the qualifying period (August 1 through July 31).
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must cooperate with the American Royal for the purpose of certifying contest winners for Invitational Contest qualification.
Sanctioning body qualifications will be periodically monitored and audited internally, at the discretion of the American Royal staff and Competition Committee.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Not sure if the FBA meets the rules/disciplinary actions clause. It says you can be dq'd for certain things. Is that enough? I'll mention this at the meeting this weekend.

Is this a change in the American Royal Criteria that hasn't been there before?

Not sure if the FBA meets the rules/disciplinary actions clause. It says you can be dq'd for certain things. Is that enough? I'll mention this at the meeting this weekend.
The FBA is a first-class organization and I would imagine they will be A-OK

Is this a change in the American Royal Criteria that hasn't been there before?
I understand that the provision requiring printed results is NEW, not sure about the others.

26th Annual American Royal Invitational Contest Qualification Criteria

A new system has been instituted for qualifying Invitational Teams in 2012-2013. Qualifying criteria must be submitted to the American Royal within 7 business days of the qualifying contest by the contest organizers and each Grand Champion team in order for the team to be invited to participate in the Invitational contest.

The forms and any accompanying information may be emailed (BBQ@AmericanRoyal.com), faxed (816-221-8189), or sent standard mail to: Invitational Contest – American Royal World Series of Barbecue® 1701 American Royal Court, Kansas City, MO 64102

QUALIFICATION CRITERIA SUMMARY FOR US TEAMS
Qualifying Period: August 1, 2012-July 31, 2013 - All exceptions must be approved in advance by the American Royal.

Invitations:
Only Grand Champions are invited. No pass downs will be accepted. Invitations will be extended to the qualified team name/head cook combination. Should the team name or head cook change after qualifying, the team MUST enter the American Royal Invitational under the qualifying combination. Should the same head cook have qualified with more than one team, he/she may enter the KC Masterpiece American Royal Invitational Contest only one time.
An invitation will be mailed from the American Royal to the qualifiers upon receipt of the enclosed forms and requested documentation. If an Invitational team would like to also compete in the Open Contest, it is MANDATORY for that team to complete the Open Application ahead of time so a space can be reserved.

Qualifying Contest Criteria:
Contests MUST have at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.
State proclamations will no longer be required. In lieu of a state proclamation, all contests MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests MUST be open to all contestants.
A state with only one contest MUST have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered, and MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests must be open to all contestants.
Contest categories submitted for judging MUST include beef, pork, and poultry to be considered a qualifier. To be considered a “competing team,” for the qualifying contest, teams MUST submit entries for ALL contest categories required to be the Grand Champion or overall winner of that event.
The American Royal reserves the right to request contest results for authentication from contest organizer, to include judging results and total number of teams competing in the event.

The sanctioning body must have a physical address.
The sanctioning body must be a registered business within the state of its physical address, whether for-profit or otherwise, and must provide a state certificate of good standing.
The sanctioning body must have printed rules, including disciplinary action for rules violations.
The sanctioning body must be able to provide printed, complete, contest results, including tabulated judging details and number of teams competing.
The sanctioning body must sanction a minimum of ten (10) BBQ competitions in the qualifying period.
The sanctioning body must cooperate with the American Royal for the purpose of certifying contest winners for Invitational Contest qualification.

Automatic Entries Go To:
*Grand Champion of previous year’s American Royal Open Contest
*Grand Champions of previous five (5) year’s American Royal/KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest
*Grand Champion of previous year’s Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue
*Grand Champion of current year’s Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Contest
*Grand Champion of current year’s Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo World Championship Bar-B-Que Contest

For more information, visit: http://www.americanroyal.com/events

I am glad to see someone do away with the need for a state proclamation finally. Now if the Jack will follow suit would be great. Having the requirement for the contest to be sanctioned by a organization will simply add value to the invitation. Just my 2 cents.

I am glad to see someone do away with the need for a state proclamation finally. Now if the Jack will follow suit would be great. Having the requirement for the contest to be sanctioned by a organization will simply add value to the invitation. Just my 2 cents.
In speaking with Debbie last week I doubt the Jack is going to follow The Royal and do away with the proclamation requirement.

I've emailed Mellisa at the Royal about which sanctioning bodies are approved now and have gotten no response so who knows which bodies are approved at this point. Are they going to wait until next July and they say "Sorry, we didn't approve you, all your contests are void"?

I've emailed Mellisa at the Royal about which sanctioning bodies are approved now and have gotten no response

I found out last week that Melissa is no longer with the AR. I have no further information, but there are two other people working there now. Explains why neither you nor I have gotten responses, mine about the Sam's Club qualifications. I don't care enough to ask the new folks, but figured I would pass this on to the MABA prez:)

dmp

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]

That's probably a question for the folks at the Royal. My initial interpretation, was that there had to be a provision for disciplinary action rather than a detailed list of penalties. I think a case for either option could be made.

The FBA is a first-class organization and I would imagine they will be A-OK

Have you cooked there?

And yes, I have, and yes, they are. I'm just asking.

Since you no longer cook IBCA, wondering what your reason for the post is?

Last edited:
Have you cooked there?

And yes, I have, and yes, they are. I'm just asking.

Since you no longer cook IBCA, wondering what your reason for the post is?

I'm scheduled to cook in Alabama in Nov. reason for post...want to alert my friends not to waste any more money on IBCA events if they are a professional team looking to advance in our great sport.

Looks like all IBCA events will no longer qualify for the Royal.
[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must have a physical address.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must be a registered business within the state of its physical address, whether for-profit or otherwise, and must provide a state certificate of good standing.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must have printed rules, including disciplinary action for rules violations.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must be able to provide printed, complete, contest results, including tabulated judging details and number of teams competing.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must sanction a minimum of ten (10) BBQ competitions in the qualifying period (August 1 through July 31).
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The sanctioning body must cooperate with the American Royal for the purpose of certifying contest winners for Invitational Contest qualification.
Sanctioning body qualifications will be periodically monitored and audited internally, at the discretion of the American Royal staff and Competition Committee.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I spoke to someone, in a position to know, with IBCA today and was told that the Royal recognizes them as a sanctioning body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBCA technically has some printed rules with consequences and it doesn't appear that the Royal is very specific about what they want:
Example: Rule 2. SANITATION — Cooks are to prepare and cook in as sanitary manner as possible. Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by judging committee. Infractions identified by the judging committee shall be immediately corrected or the cook will be subject to disqualification.

As far as providing detailed contest results, I believe IBCA can provide that to the Royal personnel upon request. They just have to print out computer results and/or provide the judging sheets. I don't see that it states that IBCA must provide it to the cooks. Of course, i am in favor of getting results, but realize it is not likely to ever happen.

It doesn't appear to me that IBCA would be excluded from the Royal. However, i am sure they would notify winners of their paperwork being rejected being that the paperwork is filled out(here in louisiana contests anyway) at the contest and submitted thereafter.

Last edited:
I'm scheduled to cook in Alabama in Nov. reason for post...want to alert my friends not to waste any more money on IBCA events if they are a professional team looking to advance in our great sport.

Jeff, first, congratulations on your RGC last weekend!

Second, in my opinion, you aren't winning any favors with anybody with your vendetta against IBCA. Do you think it meats the WWJD test?

The great news is that for cooks who are dedicated to the sport of BBQ, there are plenty of KCBS and like sanctioned events that you can invest in and work your skills.

Jeff, first, congratulations n your RGC last weekend!

Second, in my opinion, you aren't winning any favors with anybody with your vendetta against IBCA. Do you think it meats the WWJD test?[/. QUOTE]
thanks Candy, very much appreciate.d. Serving Jesus often means being very un-popular for the sake of doing what is right. I'll stand up and serve my Jesus however He needs me to. I have friends who have looked at all of this for themselves and realized what is going on, and made the decision to budget for, and invest, in KCBS events moving forward because of their love for our sport. its about seeing the truth and moving forward from that point nomatter what the issue is. God bless ya and thanks again.

And.... yes, from my perspective it passes the WWJD test. Therefore, to him that knoweth to do good, and doith it not, to him it is sin. James 4:17. And that servant, which knew the Lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. Luke 12:47

Back