BBQ Brethren "Chinese New Year" Throwdown!

Beautiful job Gore. Unmatched creativity flowing from your house lately. Wow.

IMG_1218.jpg

Gore, that is one wicked bad-a$$ looking dragon!!!! Did I forget to mention that I love dragons...and beef, and asparagus and eggplant and red bell peppers, oh, and shrimp?:becky:

I am stunned. This is better than that lobster/crab/meat/prawn thingy.

Ecode makes a Bao-Wow!
Then Gore is Dragon everything else into this Throwdown.

What's next?

Char Siu Ribs & Pork Wontons with Sugar Snap Peas

To start today's adventure, I marinated a rack of spares overnight in a mixture of Hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce, tabasco, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed ginger, five spice and some other stuff. I also marinated the rib tips and trimmings.

This afternoon, I fired up the UDS and smoked the ribs for 2 hours at 250, foiled with some of the marinade mixture I had reserved plus honey and some beer ('cause I had one in my hand). I cooked the ribs in the foil for another hour then poured the balance of the marinade mixture on top as a glaze.

Ribs off the grill and cut 'Hollywood Style' to serve with dinner. Let's call them Char Siu Ribs for fun.

DSC_0082.jpg

I cooked the rib tips and trimmings the same way but obviously took them off earlier so as not to overcook. After the rib trimmings cooled, I chopped them up fine and mixed with chopped green onion, soy sauce, honey and housin sauce. I prepared some pork wontons as follows:

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

When it was all ready to serve, I plated with some sugar snap peas and some noodles. It was a good dinner for Super Sunday. The wontons were over the moon.

DSC_0091.jpg

When the smoke had all cleared and we were doing the dishes, my wife handed me a fortune cookie. Needless to say, I was chagrined.

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

Enjoy!

Off in my truck, cause I just got a duck

Never cooked a duck before, so I figured that this was a good time to try it. Picked up a 6 pounder and filled it with citrus:-D. Covered it with sesame oil, 5 spice, salt, pepper, ginger, cayenne, and poultry seasoning. Then smoked it on the UDS. Smoked at 250 for an hour and a half, then ramped it up to 350 to crisp up the skin.
cny1.jpg

cny2.jpg

cny3.jpg

cny4.jpg

The crisping of the skin at 350 didn't work out so I hit the skin with a propane torch. Crispness came to town!:-D
cny5.jpg

Succulence!
cny6.jpg

I cut up a cucumber into small slices and cut some scallions into brushes.
cny7.jpg

The duck was sliced and served with cucumbers, scallions, hoisin sauce in Mandarin crepes.
Please use this as the entry, and thanks for looking.
cny8.jpg

Bluetang-another great entry. I love the duck idea and the use of a propane torch to crisp the skin :shocked:. Those mandarin crepes look alot like flour tortillas! Must be a mandarin from Laredo.

Great job. Beautiful duck.

Back