Brisket Bark

Another non wrapper here. It's just a matter of preference.

If you are using Kingsford and a majority of the "K's" are facing downward left, that can also lead to a mushy bark.

Upward right facing K's will produce a hotter heat source and allow the sugar in your rub to bark up better.

I used to put way too much seasoning on a brisket and when I wrapped, it always got mushy. When I learned to put the right amount of seasoning and let the bark set, I never have a problem with mushy bark when wrapping. That's my $0.02.

Some people feel the need to wrap after the outside hits a certain color such a mahogany brown. They cook until the outside has the color they want and then wrap to keep it from further darkening. The fallacy is that a brown bark is better than a darker bark or that a dark bark is burnt.

Some prefer a brown bark. Some dont. Its a personal thing. Were not here to tell what is right or wrong on a personal preference, were here to help.

As for the bark I suggest going with paper or giving a proper amount of time after the foil to let it set back up. I personally love butcher paper to the point I dont use foil very often anymore

I grabbed mine at gordon food service. It is a fraction of the cost of foil. If you bbq as a hobby and not a living I think the roll will last you about a decade

I also prefer mine nekid. As long as you keep temps low enough to prevent burning, you will have good dark mahagony to black bark and it shouldnt get get burnt/charred. Some edges of these the flat might get dry, but that you can just add that to any chopped brisket you end up making.

Did you let it cool unwrapped for 5-10 minutes before holding? Need to make sure the temp comes down enough to stop cooking.

I agree that letting the brisket vent off some of the heat after before pulling it from the smoker helps. Because if you keep it wrapped after pulling it, you run a good chance that the bark will stick to the paper/foil. This is especially important if your bark is built on a thin fat foundation (like mine). Like m-fine said, it will still keep cooking during the hold, and that is a good thing.

Butcher paper interests me but kind of expensive isn't it? Where's a good place to get some?

Grocery store paper bags, or the paper bags from Home Depot in the trash bag aisle do the same. That way you an try "paper wrap" without having to buy a whole roll of butcher paper.

Another non rapper here. It's just a matter of preference.

i can see that. i would be surprised to hear you drop some lyrics.:becky:

seriously. you can achieve the bark you desire nekkid, foiled or BP'd. you just need to do a few cooks and take notes. i used foil for years and never had mushy bark after i figured out to let the bark get a little harder before foiling.
"Doowutchyalike"

Thanks. I think I made some mistakes. Foiling and putting straight in the cooler may have been a problem, and I had wrapped it pretty tight so the juice was bathing almost all of the bark for the entire 2-hour rest. Still, it was my best effort on brisket, and the crowd went wild and it was good enough to make me look forward to trying again with some tweaks.

First post here. Brisket question. I'm known for steak, pulled pork, and ribs (in that order) and haven't done very many briskets--maybe only 6 ever. I did a whole packer on July 4 and the meat was great, and the bark was flavorful, but it was moist--almost mushy--from the wrap. So it was just a double instead of the home run it could have been.

Do you guys unwrap and let it sit naked after wrapping to reconstitute the bark? If so, how long? And do you take it all the way to probe tender before doing that?

Thanks.

I released a rub technique long ago that did this exact thing. paper wrap made it even better. I see that bark pop back within minutes of placing it on the board... sometimes even after I slice it.

Back