• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BlackHawk Brisket Version 2.0

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I did another experiment today trying to improve the bark on my HnF brisket. I cooked this one just like I did the first one - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135353 .

For this one though, I made two changes. I used a commercial rub. And, instead of keeping the surface of the flat as smooth as possible, I used a fork to cut some shallow "troughs" in the surface of the meat going in the same direction as the grain. I did this in order to create more surface area for the bark to adhere to.

picture.php

Here are the results. I think it came out excellent.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks good! I have actually thought about doing something similar to the meat surface with something like those spiked dough rollers, but with more and smaller spikes, but I've never come across anything that quite fit the bill.

Looks like the fork did quite well though.

After taking 15 hours for my last brisket and getting no sleep, I am definitely doing a blackhawk 2.0 the next time I fire up my smoker.

Wow, this is quite a bit different from a thick bark, because it has depth into the meat and not just built on "top" of the meat, brilliant!!!

Wow. This is spectacular. I've backed you up with this idea on previous threads when people disagreed with your method, look at the results, and it keeps getting better!

That looks perfect Bo, good looking bark and plenty of moisture throughout. The fork trick makes sense and as simple as it is, it has never crossed my mind before thanks.

BO: i must say i do enjoy reading your posts and "borrowing" your ideas, your definitely a mcgyver of sorts and you really enjoy bbq'ing and it shows, thank you for another great thread and great looking pron as always

So did you just use the exact same technique with refridgerator and molasses and such and the only thing you changed was fork and the rub itself, or was this completely different and all you did was trim->fork->rub

So did you just use the exact same technique with refridgerator and molasses and such and the only thing you changed was fork and the rub itself, or was this completely different and all you did was trim->fork->rub

Exactly the same except for the fork used to rough up the surface of the meat and the rub.

Which commercial rub did you use? Not that I'm gonna try the EXACT same thing, but inquiring minds want to know.

BO: i must say i do enjoy reading your posts and "borrowing" your ideas, your definitely a mcgyver of sorts and you really enjoy bbq'ing and it shows, thank you for another great thread and great looking pron as always

Thanks, bro! It's just my way of trying to give back to the brethren.

Back