View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
kgrigio
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQboy View Post
Watching a newscast in which they interviewed a small farmer that raised free range turkeys (and selling them for $4.50 a pound) made me wonder what we are doing and what we are compromising in order to have a cheap turkey.

Next year, we're starting a new tradition and forsaking the Butterball turkey for one that was raised on a small farm. What I'm asking is how many of you feel about this? Has it changed your BBQ'ing and eating habits by comparing the factory farm system to a more local small-time farm system.

BTW, I'n not trying to troll - just something that I have been thinking about lately.
Not to be disagreeable, but I went to college in a small farming town where a lot of small and mid sized farmers raised turkeys and supplied them to the Norbest turkey processing plant. I worked closely with several of these farmers on a personal (non farming basis) but we talked a lot about their operation as it interested me. There weren't a lot of big farmers that supplied the plant, although there were some. I think that may be the case for most of the name brand turkeys, their stock comes from small to big farms. They definitely aren't organic, but I don't have any issue buying these turkeys.
kgrigio is offline   Reply With Quote