• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Salmon fit for a Viking!

oifmarine2003

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This is my entry for the "A Viking's Feast" throwdown. After doing a little bit of research, I found out Vikings ate a lot of smoked fish, including salmon. I just happened to have a a bag of Lake Michigan Coho's that was caught this spring.

After seeing Silverfinger's entry, I knew I needed help for this one. I brought out my 2 young vikings, Gunnar and Hunter.

Hunter even wore his pirate/viking boots.

This is the first time I have tried to make this recipe. I have had it a couple of times but had never made it before. Until now....

Here are the ingredients:

Next, I took my salmon

An put them in the brine, scales up for approximately 12 hours.

After the 12 hours finally passed, I pulled the salmon out of the brine and lightly sprayed some excess brine off and let them sit for about 15 minutes.

At this time, I also pulled out some hickory chips and also a few chunks (thanks for the chunks chicagokp) and fired up the smoker.

Starting to get a little smoky in there!

Once the smoker held at 220, I placed the salmon on one of the higher racks in my smoker.

1 hour into the smoke and the white fatty stuff is coming out of the salmon. things are going exactly as planned so far.

At this time, I prepared a finishing glaze that consisted of pancake syrup, light brown sugar, and ketchup. The salmon will get three coats of the glaze before completion.

I love this shot from the bottom of my smoker looking up towards the salmon.

1 hour 40 minutes into the cook. Time for a coat of finishing glaze as soon as I took this shot. I put the glaze on about every 30 minutes.

After about 3 hours and 20 minutes, the salmon was done and looking great!

Oh man,
That really looks good!
Where did you get that smoker?

And your two boys!
Boots n diapers!
Great kid crutch shot!
You had me laughing my ars off here!

Oh man,
That really looks good!
Where did you get that smoker?

And your two boys!
Boots n diapers!
Great kid crutch shot!
You had me laughing my ars off here!

I need every advantage I can get against your steak! As far as the smoker, I built it last year. Here is the original build:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152554

And here is the rebuild after a small crash off the side of the driveway:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165925

Looks great. I prefer my smoked salmon a bit on the dry side. Most of what one buys is closer to lox in terms of moisture. Not my thing. I'll toss a few trout in the smoker to use as appetizers now and then.

Isn't smoked salmon actually a Jewish dish? I know it was introduced here by Jewish immigrants and we had our fair share of Viking raids :mrgreen: doesn't matter though when it looks so good!

Isn't smoked salmon actually a Jewish dish? I know it was introduced here by Jewish immigrants and we had our fair share of Viking raids :mrgreen: doesn't matter though when it looks so good!

You are thinking of Lox, which is not really cooked but smoked for flavor. This salmon was actually cooked to an IT of 160.

Great looking salmon and cook thread too. Good luck with the Kid Crutch!

Beat me to the Kid Crutch.:laugh:

I have never glazed salmon, but after seeing this going to try it. I know some who might be converted.

Looks like your smoker repair is a WIN.

Good luck in the TD!!

Back