• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Competition

MaximumJEFF

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Shut Your Mouth BBQ competed for the first time this weekend at the Polar Bear Challenge in Columbia, MO. We placed 54th out of 56th. Ribs was our best category with 32nd place. Our goal was to not finish last and to learn as much as possible. If there's anyone out there who's thinking about competing, I would highly recommend it. It was an incredible experience.

We would like to thank Jamey and Aimee for putting together a great event and a fantastic staff. Thank you to the KCBS reps for walking us through the rules and making sure we understood everything. And, thank you to the other teams for checking in us throughout the event and making us feel so welcome.

You will always remember your first...

Hopefully we'll see ya'll down the road. Congrats on no DAL and surviving with your sanity intact:becky:

That is awesome! first contest, and turned everything in, wasn't DAL, and had fun. I wished I could have done that at my first contest,but you guys did.

I meant to say hi to you guys, but no one was around,, maybe next time.

I have to admit, that contest did bring out some of the best teams out there, a heck lot of seasoned multi-GC teams.

You will always remember your first...

Hopefully we'll see ya'll down the road. Congrats on no DAL and surviving with your sanity intact:becky:

We were sweating bullets from about 9am to noon. Our butts and brisket weren't budging past 140. I told my teammate that no matter the temp we're wrapping everything at 10am and praying it makes it. It hit 200 just before noon. I've never been so giddy.

We'vre got to get something that's less affected by the elemnts. The wind was kicking our "butts" all night. And, after walking around the pits we've got serious grill envy

I didnt meet you, but you guys picked a STRONG field for a first one. Come on out to Washington, you'll love it. Hint on those butts - target them done a couple hours early, wrap in an old towel and put in a dry cooler.

It was nice meeting you guys. Glad we were able to talk a bit. Like I told you Saturday, the next one will be easier, especially since the wind and cold was taking it's toll on everyone. Hope to catch you down the BBQ trail & good luck in your future contests.

Here are our rib and brisket boxes. What do you think?

e2451598.jpg

c2c07793.jpg

Jeff,

I got a lot of 9's this weekend after scouting this site for my Appearance work.

http://www.bbqcritic.com/index.html

Glad you liked it and met your goal.

I got a couple of calls on my first comp and sat quiet for a couple of years.

I'm back and on a mission of my own this year.......

Jeff,

I got a lot of 9's this weekend after scouting this site for my Appearance work.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check out the site.
Good luck this year

You guys hung in there when this old season vet was ready to pack it up and go home to his warm bed. Like I told you, your bbq family is one of the best you can have, and we tried to make sure to make you welcome and help where we could. Like Brinker said, go give Washington a try!
Nice to meet you and good luck in your future contests!

Jeff,

Listen to this gentleman, he took first place brisket at the Kansas Winter Q. It was nice to meet you this weekend, and hope you can make it back next year for the Chest to Chest. (I was the meat inspector).

It was great to meet you and glad you had a great time. We are a big bbq family and if you ever need any help and we are there just let us know. Brrr it was cold, glad you survived the night.
Kent - Uncle BC's

Good meeting you Jeff! Ya did good on your first comp, I think that you're hooked now. See ya down the BBQ trail.

Back