• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Pizza on the EGG

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Cooked my first pizza on the new egg tonight. Cranked it up to about 425* picked up a meatlover's with jalapeno's and onions from papa murphey's pizza place here in town, Tossed it on and 15 minutes later had an Outstanding supper. I really don't know how I lived w/o the egg for so long.
P4300193.jpg

onto the grill
P4300194.jpg

Just about done crisping the bottom of the crust.
P4300197.jpg

and a few slices on the poor boy china
P4300198.jpg

Also beginning to think that the Egg is much more photogenic than any of my other cookers. :-D

nice job !! your off to a great start !!!

jumped in feet first. I really thought Id have more trouble with it. Still learning the temp swings getting situated and dialed in but it don't take much once u start getting close to where ya want it. Should have my wiggle rod and gratelifter in the next week or two.
Need to get an ash removal tool though.

Dang.......looks great.
Am I to assume the pizza was fresh and not frozen?
Im picking up my pizza stone next week but just have a few ????'s.
I assume if you get a frozen pizza, you need to defrost before putting on the pizza stone to prevent shattering.
I assume you used either cornmeal or parchment paper between the stone and the crust of your pizza?

jumped in feet first. I really thought Id have more trouble with it. Still learning the temp swings getting situated and dialed in but it don't take much once u start getting close to where ya want it. Should have my wiggle rod and gratelifter in the next week or two.

just remember your initial flame when you light off the lump may make it appear that it's getting hotter than desired but that's just the flame's heat rising right toward the thermometer. After it settles, it may dip and then that's the true temp.. then it's just vent control.

Dang.......looks great.
Am I to assume the pizza was fresh and not frozen?
Im picking up my pizza stone next week but just have a few ????'s.
I assume if you get a frozen pizza, you need to defrost before putting on the pizza stone to prevent shattering.
I assume you used either cornmeal or parchment paper between the stone and the crust of your pizza?

The ones we get from papa murpheys are take and bake. You order it just like you would from pizza hut or where ever the only difference is that they dont cook em. So they are fresh not frozen. These come with a baking tray, which you can see off to one side in the photo. I cook it on there on the stone for about 10 min, then slide it off onto the pizza stone. That way I dont have to worry bout it sticking or needing to put cornmeal down or use a pizza peel. Ive done these same pizzas in the kettle or in the oven. HAve to really watch it in the kettle because it can get way to hot. This was just like cookin it in the oven. No burnt bottom or anything.

On a side note. This is my pizza stone that I got at Bed bath and beyond. Its nothing fancy and has served me well for about a year now. in the kettle oven and now in the BGE,

Looks like you are off to a great start with pizza.

I like to lift the pizza stone up off the plate setter a bit. I use the three ceramic shoes that comes with the Egg or some other spacer between the two. I believe it results in a better cooked crust. Give it a try one of these times.

Good job FatDaddy! Now I know what I'm going to try on Friday night.

the plate setter in that position directs the hot blast from the fire right at the gasket. i think what aggravates that is when people try to heat up the plate setter and pizza stone too fast. it'll take at least 30-40 minutes to heat everything up.

Nice to see that the Papa Murphy's pizzas work out well on the grill. We have coupons galore... Thanks for the hint on the baking tray.

the plate setter in that position directs the hot blast from the fire right at the gasket. i think what aggravates that is when people try to heat up the plate setter and pizza stone too fast. it'll take at least 30-40 minutes to heat everything up.

I got ya. I cook mine at about 425* and it took me a good 30 min to bring it up to temp. I really need to start using my weed burner to start my fires. Ive dropped a small coal of lit lump on the outer edge of the gasket. so it has a nice burn mark in it. And did same thing to the side table on the left side today lol.

I knew you'd get hooked. Glad you ordered the grate lifter and wiggle rod. Next time try it with the egg feet lifting the pizza stone. It will give the stone a more even heat than being directly on the plate setter.

One pizza is all it takes to get hooked.
Bull - we have done frozen pizzas and do not thaw them out first... no problems... and the Egg makes them that much better.

A week or two??? Heck man, they went out on the 28th. If you don't get them Saturday, they will be there on Monday.

Now, Bret's (71-South) took a couple of weeks to finally show up, but the wind was blowing on delivery day. :biggrin:

Back