Images from Camp Parks Troop Feed

This makes me want Enlist! (if I wasn't Too Old, Too Fat with Bad knees and Bad Back - Guess I need to send of my kids down to Enlist :shock: )

Funny thing, the LTC and CSM were really giving a hard time to the Sergeant about the date.

I noticed the date mistake as soon as it was handed to me. A major reason I got donations was the fact that this event was on Pearl Harbor Day. December 7th. I just write it off to them being the Army. :)

if possible, can i get hi-res copies of the photos. I'd like to make a big photoframe to hang in trailer on wall with the other stuff bbq brethren have done.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Phil, I can send the original images, they are closer to 2M each, not super high resolution. PM me an email addy. John Yee, R2egg2Q has lots of images too.

You know Marty, my first thought was 'well, it's the army'. But, then I thought about all the times a date or number was wrong on a plan that had gone through multiple checks and figure "chit happens"

I know it was a clerical mistake, and amusing due to the significance of the date. I was in the Navy and understand how some of these things get overlooked.....

Here's some more pics.

Brethren martyleach and oakpit cooking ingredients for breakfast burritos for the crew:

There were some other breakfast items including donuts, cinnamon rolls, and some sausage wrapped around pepper jack cheese and wrapped in bacon and sauced with Big Butz Cranberry sauce:

While the cooking was going on kids played in the jump house and with the cornhole boards:

These gentlemen provided the music:

In the kitchen work was underway trimming tri-tip and prepping veggies:

Back on the patio was the cooking area:

BBQ PD (Bart's Blazin' Q) cooking away on the tri tip:

Chicken breast on:

Handled expertly by BBQ PD and Huminie:

And sliced by Dana, Marty, and Tim (oakpit):

Some dogs for the kids:

...and one for a BIG kid:

Slicing station for the tri tip in the kitchen:

Troops and family members started lining up and enjoying some great BBQ:

BBQ PD showing a typical plate of good eats:

From there on to desserts:

This gentleman was on his third trip back for Phat Matt's BBQ's peach cobbler:

A blurry pic of the attendees clapping in appreciation for our efforts:

Part 2 of my pics (ran into the 50 pic limit)

Followed by a nice surprise awarding of plaques of appreciation for individuals who went above and beyond in their service or contributions for the event:

Ric of Ric's Righteous Ribs expressing our gratitude to the troops:

Then a special visitor from the North arrive to hand out gifts to the kids:

...and to pose for some special photos:

Some soldiers in a group shot:

And some shots of the team with the Hummer:

Unfortunately a couple members of the crew had to take off before we took the group shot.

Overall it was a great day and one my wife and I were honored to be a part of!

Amazing job! Do you mind if we share some of the photos on Facebook?

Eric

I don't mind if you share my photos Eric.

Desserts By Mrs R2Egg2?
they look all brillint

Mrs R2 baked snicker doodles and cream cheese pound cakes. A nice lady named Willow baked a bunch chocolate chip and molasses cookies and I believe some pumpkin bread. Charlotte of Phat Matts baked 4 large pans on peach cobbler. Otis Spunkmeyer donated a ton of chocolate brownies. Another nice lady named Sandy brought some x-mas cookies. Some of the soldiers and/or family members made or brought some pies and other desserts. Mrs R2 and Sandy kept the dessert table replenished during the event.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome Thank You so much for what you did :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

No Guerry, Willow forgot the large bottle of vinegar sauce I had for her. Too bad, as it is a really good seasoned vinegar, no mustard. Just vinegar, loads of black pepper and pepper sauce and a little ketchup. I had a few people come up to me and mention how they were glad to see it.

Funny enough, one soldier came up to me and mentioned that he doesn't much care for pulled pork, and doesn't consider chicken or tri-tip to be BBQ. He then said that the pulled pork was the best he had ever had and really enjoyed it. Then shook his head and said he was going to have to re-apply for his Texas Cred when he got home.

I think the real story for me, was watching and seeing the people. Like those guys who did the music, it was clear that the guy at the laptop was into music and running the show. In so many cases, the uniform strips away the individual to people outside the circle. Clearly this is a young man who loves his music.

There was a young blonde woman, who I first met at 6:30am, she was all business, in her camo uni and getting things done. Around 9am, she disappeared and came back, all frilly and girly, a total change once she was in civvies. Most of these folks are National Guard who are attached to the Army. So,they have lives outside of the Army, and those little glimpses really humanize the people, and the event.

The guy in the cowboy hat, I saw walking by with his third plate of food, he immediately said 'it's for my little girl, she eats twice as much as I do' as she is rolling her eyes at daddy.

I think my enduring take-away will be the relationship between CSM Swift and his sergeants. He constantly made little funny digs about education at his Sergeants, and when I looked at him, he explained that they were all career Army and he wanted them to complete their educations, which most of them had stopped. He felt that finishing college, no matter how hard, would give them a chance to move up. He seemed to genuinely care about his reports. Here was a guy with multiple campaign ribbons, Airborne Ranger, Several insignias on his dress uni and he seemed to genuinely care about his people moving on and up.

Back