First Competition

Diver

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My BBQ team, The Soundside Smokers, competed in our first competition this weekend in Myrtle Beach SC. We figured worst case, we get to spend a long weekencd in at the beach. It started pretty funny. The volunteer helping direct traffic was "perplexed" to say the least that all of our gear was in the back of my mini van. He didn't want to let us into the cooks area. When we got in, we we set set up amongst the other teams with: 2 UDS, a bullet clone and a 22.5 weber kettle. We felt extremely out of place. We were definitely the only drumheads. There were 17 teams and we finished 9 in chicken, 9 in ribs and 7 in pork. I won't get into the brisket that needed 2 more hours on the smoker...:icon_blush: All in all, I think I had the best weekend ever. The teams were great. Thanks especially to Cameron Cookers for hooking us up with items we missed. Here are our turn ins...let me know what you think.

P8300038.jpg

P8300041.jpg

P8300042.jpg

P8300043.jpg

Congrats !!! Most importantly, glad you enjoyed it and placed fairly well for your first time out..

Just my impressions from the boxed

Chix - looks good !! on the right track .. I'd give it an 8
Ribs - looks a bit odd spread out, weird surface, makethem shine more next time.. I'd give it a 5.
Pork -very neat appearance but looks very bland/colorless - needs some bark,smoke, sauce etc. - I'd give it a 6.
Brisket - presentation on the right track - Probably a 7 or 8.

Congrats again !!!

Congrats on your first comp folks...great job! Gotta agree with Vinny on the turn ins. :p

You had fun, right? That's the main thing!

The chicken, I like it better than Vinny, I'd give it a 9!
The ribs, you got 6 in the box with some legal greens, to me that is no worse than a 6.
I don't see much bark on the pork, so I was a little disappointed.... a 6.
I agree with Vinny that you are headed in the right dirrection with the brisket presentation....try taking a little more time placing the slices in the box.....a toss up between a 7 & 8.

Congrats on a GREAT weekend performance for a first time contest!

It looks like you on the right path... great job! The most important thing is that you had a great time!!!!

Congrats on the first comp and well done! Look us up if you cook any more in the area.

Briskett looks good to me how did it taste?

Definately a great start. I prolly do 8 - 6 - 6 -8. The chicken and brisket just simply look tasty. Not quite neat enough for a 9 in my opinion but definately on the right track. Ribs spread out like that look odd and not cut very even. Pork definately needs bark showing. Easier to do with bigger chunks as well. Good job.

Thanks everyone. We had an absolute blast and met some really nice people. The ribs were cooked well but the racks were not meaty. We went with that layout trying to fill the box and trying to help with the fact they were not the same size. I made my worst choices with the brisket. I stuck to my plan that we developed during practices even though the conditions were different. It needed 2 more hours to get tender. We got killed on tenderness and that seemed to drag down taste scores too.

I became a CBJ earlier this year and have judged in 3 comps. I took it seriously from the beginning but I have a new respect for what the teams go through. I think CBJs need to do more than cook with a team. They need to compete. There is so much time in planning, packing, organizing, stressing, cleaning, travel etc. The actual night of cooking is a very small part of what a team goes through.

Congrats! Yes, there's nothing like actually competing. From remembering to pack
all the stuff (cant just go back in the house and get that *thing* that you'd missed),
to the 30 minute to next turn-in dash, there's nothing else like it. Also, you weren't
DAL, so that's great too! :)

Agree with most above, brisket and chicken looked pretty darned good. It could
be the lighting, but the pork looks lifeless (looks like boiled chicken). Need some
smoke ring in there with some bark. Also, not enough of it; fill the box where you
have as little greenery as you had with the brisket; perhaps less greenery than
that even.

Having fun is most of it! Congrats.

Had fun... mission accomplished!
Worry about everything else next time out, the main goal is to enjoy yourself, if you cant get that one done, you better off staying home.

Sounds like your one the right path, congrats and welcome to the frenzy!!

Those are fantastic placings for the first contest! Congrats! I hope my first is that good!

Be well!

It started pretty funny. The volunteer helping direct traffic was "perplexed" to say the least that all of our gear was in the back of my mini van. He didn't want to let us into the cooks area. When we got in, we we set set up amongst the other teams with: 2 UDS, a bullet clone and a 22.5 weber kettle. We felt extremely out of place.
Absolutely nothing wrong with not going gear-heavy! Slap Yo' Daddy, Sweet Peppers and RnQ all turn in wins on bullets and kettle -- and your results would seem to put you on the inside track, congratulations on a great inaugural showing.

There is so much time in planning, packing, organizing, stressing, cleaning, travel etc. The actual night of cooking is a very small part of what a team goes through.
Truer words were never spoken! Anybody who says it's not an endurance sport hasn't packed a trailer and driven 6+ hours each way, seven weekends out of eight.
shiner.gif

Back