Smoking with Maple wood????????

Fishin4bass723

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My GF and I cut down part of a Maple tree in our back yard and am wondering if I can use it for smoking? Has anyone ever tried it before and if so what was the outcome?

Maple wood, especially sugar maple, is great with pork and poultry. It is a mild smoke. I use sugar maple all the time.

Yep, sugar maple is good. I had some silver maple but wound up using it for the firepit.

I bought some to smoke Bacon with, tried it pork some pork chops and I am really enjoying Maple with the pork.

The Maple cured Bacon was used in a Bean and Bacon soup last week. The Bacon was a little to salty to eat as Bacon, but it was awesome in soup.

You should get some real good use out of the Maple...

I don't like to use green wood since I try for a clean burning fire so I age it. Fastest method is to cut it into 2" thick disks then dry it for a couple of months befor chunking it for use.

I use red maple all the time, smells like smokey sugar to me. I like the color it gives to chicken-

Maple is my favourite. We have 4 maples on our property that I regularly "prune" for use in the smoker.

Because the prunings are only 1" diameter or so, I use them with charcoal. I've found they need a few months to dry out nicely (kept under cover). If I leave them too long, and they get really dry (like 2+ years) they don't seem to have as much flavour in them.

I also strip the bark, as it seems to have a slightly bitter smoke when the bark is still on.

Yep it is good to use after a cure. Common red maple... Ain't gotta be sugar maple to make good smoke.

I imagine that Wisconsin maple might be a bit different from Florida maple... but I find the maple here to be TOO mild. But, it just might be a personal preference. Season it a while and give it a shot. :-D

I also strip the bark, as it seems to have a slightly bitter smoke when the bark is still on.

I agree. My experience has been that leaving the bark on causes the smoke to be really bitter.
Anybody else had a similar experience?

Back