• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grilled Chili - Chili Dogs

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I LOVE chili dogs. I have several great hot dog chili recipes that I have collected or developed over the years. We have had some hot days near or over 100 degrees F so I haven't spent anymore time outside than I have had to. I was thinking, what I could cook outside without heating up the house? So, I put on some chili and grilled some hot dogs using my Weber kettle. Good food and quick cleanup after the meal.

I fired up the Weber Kettle and put on a cast iron pot -

picture.php

Added liquid (no tomato sauce; a little vegetable juice, beef broth, and the color comes from paprika), spices, and herbs and let it simmer -

picture.php

Added the meat -

picture.php

Let it continue to simmer -

picture.php

Chili almost done -

picture.php

When the chili was done, I pulled it from the grill and grilled some all beef hot dogs.

Grilled Chili Dogs with mustard and onions -

picture.php

These are classic Central Virginia style chili dogs. The onions had the special "Central Virginia" treatment that makes them even better. No cheese, no vegetables like tomato or pickles on these dogs; just chili, onions, and yellow mustard on a regular, steamed, hot dog bun. Soooo, freakin' good!

Last edited:
The last time that I ate a fast food chili dog I was sick for two days. That has never happened with chili dogs that I have fixed myself. Yours look great. :thumb:

Thanks, guys. You are all honored brethren as I too can eat six of them without batting an eye. :becky:

You are the hot dog king! Man, I don't care how they are made or what's in em, and all the hoopla that goes along with hot dogs. They are still one of my absolute favorites. Those look killer dude!

The onions had the special "Central Virginia" treatment that makes them even better.

Awesome looking dogs.
What is the Central Virginia treatment on the onions?

I'll have one or three. Up, up...and AWAY! Super dogs FLY off the grill! ....extra onions, please:-D

Thanks, brethren!

Mr. Bo, Apparently, it's a secret. But, ideally, what you do is chop the onions using a food processor and let them sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best. Since my wife complains about me pulling out the food processor, I just chop the onions very finely and then crush them with a fork. Then, I cover them and put them in the fridge for 4 hours or, preferably, overnight. They take on a whole new character after that.

Thanks for the pics and after reading about your chili and dogs thats exactly what I did as well. Found a chili recipe on here and grilled some dogs. Awesome combination.
My tummy says thanks :)

Back