for all those germaphobic grill cleaning nuts...

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Look at all that flavor!!
1.jpg

I dumped out all the juice from yesterdays brisket and this beautiful baby is ready to go
2.jpg

can you smell all those golden scents?!?
3.jpg

It's like when your starting your smoker and your neighbor comes by saying "that smells so good, what are you cooking?" but there is no food in the smoker yet
4.jpg

Like when you walk out the door and smell the food cooking on the other side of the house..
5.jpg

Like when you sit down to eat and your clothes are so smoked, you can't tell if there is enough smoke in the food...
6.jpg

7.jpg

BBQ is addictive and the food on the table afterwards is only half of it.

If it makes you feel any better, I built my UDS about 2 yrs ago, and I cleaned it out... wait a minute... I thought about cleaning it out:becky:

Decades ago my friend worked as a chef with a guy from the Dominican Republic.
The guy was incredible at BBQ.
He told us that you must never clean BBQ's, that when they acquired one even professionals used it at home 3 months before setting it up commercially.
The heat keeps it sanitized but the grease keeps protection of the metals and preserves the holy flavours!
I give 'em a brush but that's it!

I spray my grates with cooking spray before I cook. When the cook is done, I pull the meat and let 'er cool down.

The next time I use it, I pull the grates and they wash right up. As I am preparing for the next cook, I clean the water bowl by rinsing it out ... if needed, I will scrape out the scale in the bowl.

I dump any ashes I may still have in the fuel bowl and load it up for the the cook.

I have never cleaned the inside of the ECB. I like it well seasoned.

Awesome. Now, I'm a germaphobe with the grates.
But more the merrier in the seasoning - -and that, my friend, looks very merry.

Awesome. Now, I'm a germaphobe with the grates.
But more the merrier in the seasoning - -and that, my friend, looks very merry.
My views on smoker care:
I have had mold problems if I close one up wet. I leave the door/lid open for a week to let it dry. I flip my UDS upside down for a week on a saw horse or cinder blocks.

When I cook, I heat it up over 200F, scrape the grate clean and wait 2 more minutes. all good, everything is dead but that lovely smell

What is this "cleaning" of which you speak???

Ok, I'll wipe down the Weber lid with a crumpled ball of foil every once in a while and dump out the extra fat/water mix in the bottom of the drum - but clean :shock: ?

Back