• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - Oct 24-26, 2008

Ok, two last questions the I'm stepping out of the mix so Phil doesn't slap me.

If it's onsite presentations, how does that differ from marking an entry so the judges know who it belongs too? I know more judges in this area like Sledneck better than me and if we both carried our boxes into the tent at the same time, they'd say "Oh, Sledneck! I can't wait to dig in!!!" then "F'ing SIDE. He probably spit in this."

As for the sausage category, can those competing use bacon or other pre-treated ingredients? And will the meat be weighed to make sure it is at least one pound?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the thought process.

I Give it a 6. I might go to 7 if you get rid of that Schaefer Beer.
attachment.php

A few things based on questions I have gotten.

1 - I would hope our judges would judge professionally and fairly. Its the nature of the beast when they come to your site to judge.

2 - We DO NOT HAVE A SAUSAGE CATEGORY. Its a FATTY category. The 'fatty' has a long distinguished history in the group and its never been a linked or cased sausage. Starting out originally as a Jimmy Dean, It has always been a chub, seasoned and stuffed to the limits of imagination. So, it is in the spirit of this forum to present the fatty as we have always described it, a 1lb chub or bigger. As far as ingredients, bacon cooked from raw would be allowed as would an edible wrapping. (A casing is not a wrapping). Meat inspections will ensure theres at least one pound of ground meat to be used for the fatty. I would hope we would not have to weigh things.
(Along the same lines, I believe KCBS rules state a pork but must weigh 5 lbs, but i have yet to see one weighed.)

3 - The judging for pizza and fatty is in the judging tent, not your site. Those must be turned in as normal.

c'mon folks, Break out those stupid turkey shaped plates you only use once a year and decorate it, throw on some cornish hens and make it look like a barnyard.. this will be fun!

Two last questions. Why can I turn a fattie in for a sausage category but I can't turn a sausage in for a fattie category? And does each portion for the judges have to weigh a pound or is the pound the sum of the meat you start with?

(And yes, I'm just breaking balls here. I'm sure it will be fun as always)

This contest is sounds cool. Lots of interesting categories and presentations. All designed to stretch your imagination and cooking skills. Saturdays contest is not a standard KCBS contest at all. If that is what you thought you were getting in to, I'm sorry. Hopefully everyone will realize this and have some fun with it. Push the envelope of the 9X9 styro box thingie and do something really cool. Please don't get stressed about this. Part of the reason for doing some of the things they are doing is to reduce your stress, like letting you have the judges come to your site rather than having to worry about getting it to them on time. How cool is that? Put the monkey on their back for a change.

And a fatty category. This one is my favorite, due to the fact that I gave it the name and that when you hear or see the word fatty in regards to BBQ, you know that it all started here at the Brethren. This is something that we named. No we didn't invent it, we just perfected it. :icon_cool

Some folks are a bit confused as to exactly what a fatty is. It can be many things. It can be as simple as just opening one up and smoking, or complex like a Fatty Wellington. I love that one. It can be so many things, that a list would probably not be conclusive. That's part of the coolness of them. What it is, is some type of ground meat of at least a pound, that is shaped into a tube. It can be stuffed and coated, but not have a casing. That would be sausage, and while fatties are usually sausage, this is not a sausage contest. That would be much more open. A fatties shape should be tubular and fat, not skinny, resembling that original fatty: The Jimmie Dean type in a plastic container with ties on the end. That is where it gets the double meaning of fatty, the one you could get arrested for smoking. :eek: Got it?

Hopefully this will help you understand this contest better and allow you to lay back and have some fun. I sure wish I could be there to see it.

And a fatty category. This one is my favorite, due to the fact that I gave it the name and that when you hear or see the word fatty in regards to BBQ, you know that it all started here at the Brethren. This is something that we named. No we didn't invent it, just perfected it. :icon_cool

Some folks are a bit confused as to exactly what a fatty is. It can be many things. It can be as simple as just opening one up and smoking, or complex like a Fatty Wellington. I love that one. It can be so many things, that a list would probably not be conclusive. That's part of the coolness of them. What it is, is some type of ground meat of at least a pound, that is shaped into a tube. It can be stuffed and coated, but not have a casing. That would be sausage, and while fatties are usually sausage, this is not a sausage contest. That would be much more open. A fatties shape should be tubular and fat, not skinny, resembling that original fatty: the Jimmie Dean type in a plastic container with ties on the end. That is where it gets the double meaning of fatty, the one you could get arrested for smoking. :eek: Got it?

That's a great summary, bigdog! Again, I am just busting chops but this sounds like a great out-of-the-box (literally) contest. I am also for hire as a consultant in any categories! Been waiting all year for sayville and only a month to go...

That's a great summary, bigdog! Again, I am just busting chops but this sounds like a great out-of-the-box (literally) contest. I am also for hire as a consultant in any categories! Been waiting all year for sayville and only a month to go...

SIDE, As Nike would say, Just Do It.

I expect to see you defending your title.

No excuses.

do we know what kind of Sabbrett hot dogs are being provided? Skinless, foot long, just wondering since it's a cat i might as well prepare for it... At least i don't have to eat them.

Also is the chef's choice limited to only one portein?

Hope you all get done beating each other up before Cracker and I get there !!! Don't know what our game plan is yet, or what we will be cooking on, but we will be ready for the 12 oz. curl competition.:cool:

Spice

yes, chefs choice can contain more than one protein. Its pretty much wide open.

The hot dog is an ancillary/optional category. Hot dogs became optional yesterday as soon as we found out about it. An updated email will be going out shortly.
Sabrett is sponsoring a portion of the grilling event, both monetarily and with product, so its only fair that they be a part of it.

Oddly, the email went out while Phil was posting his note. Strange synchronicity there.

On another note, please keep chatter about the event in the 'roll call' thread for Sayville.

I'm hoping to keep this thread for announcements, questions and clarifications.

Eric

Sabrett is sponsoring a portion of the grilling event, both monetarily and with product, so its only fair that they be a part of it.

EXCELLENT! This is the type of thing that should always be welcome.

And I do love Sabrett hot dogs!

guys..

since i havent heard anything, I hope things are a little more palatable regarding the judging now.. Chris and Steve shared some photos which may make our intentions clearer regarding the Chefs choice onsite judging. These are photos of Jack entries i was discussing in an earlier post here.

Setting up a single entry, along the lines of these. (remember, "showmanship" is not in the equation).

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=741540&postcount=5

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=741575&postcount=10

do we know what kind of Sabbrett hot dogs are being provided? Skinless, foot long, just wondering since it's a cat i might as well prepare for it... At least i don't have to eat them.

Also is the chef's choice limited to only one portein?

We hope to have a variety of their hot dogs for you to choose from. As soon as I have confirmation I will post here and email the teams.

Eric

Hey Phil, I'm thinking the Jack can wait. This is shaping up to be a really neat competition. Open fatty comp. Very cool. would love to be at the tent to see all the turn in's. Scott

go ahead, lay the guilt trip on me. Im having enuf trouble as it is.

:)

Back