I believe the Brethren has changed the BBQ community

There should be a standards committee to define LnS vs. HnF. We should then have these definitions and standards buried deep within the brethern website.

Point of order. Is a 25 degree move from 225 to 250 really considered going from low and slow to hot and fast? I thought hot and fast would most definately have to be closer to the 300 degree and over range.
I think you have to be 265°F-280°F to be Medium and Moderate, the spot I most often cook at. :becky:

Sometimes I am at 285°F to 295°F, I call that Non-Committal and Fast-ish. My understanding is that Dizzy Pig is coming out with rubs designed for this method, called Dizzy Pig Ish rubs, I can't wait :thumb:

The other cool thing about this site is that it let me know the difference in smokers... Our little Lang settles in nicely between 225* and 250*, while my buddy's Backwoods Party likes the 250*spot. He cooks hotter because it works better with his smoker.

I'm gonna say low and slow ends at 250* with a 25* margin of error for varibles.

This forum puts so much diverse information out there that it's provided different avenues and methods for Q'ers to try and experiment. People have found solutions to many of their Q'n problems then they go and share it with others. I know the reason I changed from 225 to 250+ was time. I found there wasn't any difference in the flavor of my Q and it was finished in less time. Win for me. :clap2:

I'm still new to smoking, having always been a griller, but Bamabuzzard stated my sentiments exactly. I've had to go higher in temp several times, but it was because of time constraints. But I found my butts cooked at 250-275 really just as tasty as my 225-250 ones. The only disadvantage I found in my higher temps was the quicker time reduced the amount of alcohol I got to consume waiting on the butt to finish!

Whats the method called where you start at 225, leave, come back, and its dropped to 165. So to correct you open the vents to get the pit back up to 225 but you already started drinking beers so you forget to check the temp periodically and you discover 2-3 hours later that its over 350. Whats that called?

Your poll was more thought out than mine! :smile:

I've had to learn through trial how to make them out. As you learned details are important. Give more choices than you think you need but don't try to list every possible response imaginable. These farkers will always pick apart the choices, it's like wishes from a magic lamp. If you leave one detail out they will exploite the technicalities in it, foil shiny side or out? If this happens or someone answers both it is best to shoot laser beams at them:laser: or drop o load of bricks on their head.:pile: It doesn't help but it's fun.

Most of all have fun with em.

Having the option for hot and fast is the best part. I'm a die hard 225 guy but I have done a brisket and a butt using the hot and fast method when I was pushed for time. BOTH turned out better than I anticipated. :thumb:

^^^^ That right there is where i landed... i stay at 225-250 when Im out for a theraputic cook... and 275-315 when im hungry.

Whats the method called where you start at 225, leave, come back, and its dropped to 165. So to correct you open the vents to get the pit back up to 225 but you already started drinking beers so you forget to check the temp periodically and you discover 2-3 hours later that its over 350. Whats that called?

Ummmm.. i call that summer. :)

Originally Posted by Redleg71

When that happens to me, my friends tell me I'm having a "senior moment"

I used to think 220 was the way to get all Q done. The problem with the larger meats as that they would sit in "The Stall" for hours and I couldn't really predict when they were going to be done within a 5 hour window. By kicking the temps up to 260-275 they blow through the stall. I cook ribs at 260 as well. Done in about 4 hours.

Getting back to some previous comments. I have stayed on this site as people are helpful and honest. Other sites, like the Egghead Forum, were/are dominated by closed minded, abusive folks that just want to tell you that you are doing it wrong unless you are doing it their way. It was so refreshing to find this Forum.

I'm still new to smoking, having always been a griller, but Bamabuzzard stated my sentiments exactly. I've had to go higher in temp several times, but it was because of time constraints. But I found my butts cooked at 250-275 really just as tasty as my 225-250 ones. The only disadvantage I found in my higher temps was the quicker time reduced the amount of alcohol I got to consume waiting on the butt to finish!

Just drink faster:thumb:
I am fairly new to the website but, I do enjoy reading it. A lot of good information here as well as a lot of fun.
I have done hot and fast in the 325-375 range and my briskets were done in about 4-4 1/2 hours. I do prefer the low and slow method though

Just drink faster:thumb:
I am fairly new to the website but, I do enjoy reading it. A lot of good information here as well as a lot of fun.
I have done hot and fast in the 325-375 range and my briskets were done in about 4-4 1/2 hours. I do prefer the low and slow method though

did that to a brisket once...

350-375.....came out like smoked pot roast. :doh:

Myron Mixon has been doing HnF for a while now and it's talked about in season 1 of BBQ Pitmasters. Well I am sure there were a lot of others before him that did HnF as well.

But I do think this forum has had a lot to do with making it a popular choice. Seems like most cook HnF here.. I am gonna make a poll in another thread.. brb.

Myron learned hot and fast after Mike Davis spanked him and Ray Lampe on not so national TV.

I used to think 220 was the way to get all Q done. The problem with the larger meats as that they would sit in "The Stall" for hours and I couldn't really predict when they were going to be done within a 5 hour window. By kicking the temps up to 260-275 they blow through the stall. I cook ribs at 260 as well. Done in about 4 hours.

Getting back to some previous comments. I have stayed on this site as people are helpful and honest. Other sites, like the Egghead Forum, were/are dominated by closed minded, abusive folks that just want to tell you that you are doing it wrong unless you are doing it their way. It was so refreshing to find this Forum.

i met some good q people on that site, but overall, it was like a female junior high slumber party (bickering and fighting) far too often. once the forum split into eggheadforum / corporate forum, i quit it.

Two things moved many up from 225. One was BBQ Pitmasters and the other was Meathead's study on the Stall.

I did my first high heat brisket in 2009 out of pure laziness:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62365

This was after a few threads started popping up here from people who were using it. Would have never even attempted it if it wasn't for the folks here at the Brethren.
That is the exact thread that changed my brisket cooking and refocused my efforts on my first BBQ mentors old teachings.

Back