• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

• 100 Gal. Air Tank Build (Offset)

Can't speak about Phrasty's tank but mine was full of crud. Oil, rust, dirt, you name it. Not a pleasant cleaning job.

Lovin' the build photos so far... and the pepper shrimp and beer snack. :thumb:

Looks sweet. Makes me want to brush up on my welding skill and tackle a project like this myself.

I think about a similar build every time I see a Propane tank or Air tank.
My problem is it's just too big just to use on my patio...
I'd have to build mine on a trailer to carry to parties.

Looks great! Thats one door I wouldnt want to get my finger caught in.

No.. it doesn't feel good at all! :doh:

With this type of tank, do you still need to do a burn out first?

Yea I'm gonna burn it out... Even if it's just to try burn off some of the paint.

I loved watching the last build! This should be fun. Can't wait for more.

Thanks Marty... Hopefully it all goes smooth, then it will be fun for sure. :thumb:

Cheers

Hey guys... Got through what I wanted to today :boxing:. I managed to cut and install the grate slides and make the racks... The racks were a bit labor intensive... :doh: Wanted to go a little above and beyond the regular expanded metal grates. I made these out of 1/4" bar stock! Came out nice. Really liking where this is going. :thumb: This is what happened today.

First thing I did was to install the slides:
6d18ff81.jpg

Cleaned up the welds:
b845def1.jpg

Then cut the 3/4" sq bar for the grates and tested fitted them before the next step:
3e5cf006.jpg

Here's where all the work really came in. First I marked out the long rails to start drilling the holes for the 1/4 bars and center punched them:
a468173b.jpg

Then started drilling:
f2059c57.jpg

370f98a9.jpg

Then came the time to cut the 84 1/4 bars for the grate and welded the frame together and installed the bars. Still have to tack them in, I'm guessing I can do that sometime in the week:
c4be698a.jpg

cfa46749.jpg

A close up of the grates:
dfde3084.jpg

And here's where we are now...
a1f8a79b.jpg

ee3cc912.jpg

9c3d380e.jpg

So far so good guys! :thumb: Thanks for looking! Hopefully some more updates soon!

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice progress! I do wonder if the gaps in the grates are a bit large. For large cuts of meat I am sure they will be fine but do you think it might be an issue with smaller stuff?

Nice progress! I do wonder if the gaps in the grates are a bit large. For large cuts of meat I am sure they will be fine but do you think it might be an issue with smaller stuff?

The spacing is 3/4". I have another grill I've made with the same spacing and I had the same feeling at first but it works out quite fine actually. Haven't had a problem so far. It's only when I'm doing things like shrimp where it becomes an issue but I usually use a separate tray for those kinda foods anyway. Thanks for the heads up though brother! :thumb:

Cheers

The spacing is 3/4". I have another grill I've made with the same spacing and I had the same feeling at first but it works out quite fine actually. Haven't had a problem so far. It's only when I'm doing things like shrimp where it becomes an issue but I usually use a separate tray for those kinda foods anyway. Thanks for the heads up though brother! :thumb:

Cheers

Ain't no thang, brutha :becky: I just want you to get your method down pat before you build one for me :thumb: Granted, shipping might be an issue :crazy:

I'm having the best time watching this build. Phrasty, you sure do put on one heck of a show! :-D Now where's smokingj with that popcorn? :pop2:

Just a question because your work looks great.

Why not split those into 4 racks with a support in the middle so you don't have to slide those big racks out every time while also letting all the heat out of the pit?

Back