Need Help w/ Maverick

Which model?

Try removing the batteries and reinstalling. Who knows, might work.

From Maverick:

"Why do I get HHH or LLL for a temperature when I plug my probe into the unit?

99% of the time the probe is bad. If you have used the unit in the past the probe may have been melted, severely pinched or immersed in water. Any of these would cause the probe to short out and give a HHH, LLL or false temperature display.

If the probe is still under warranty please either call or email our customer service department with the model # of your unit and we’ll replace it free of charge.

If the probe is out of warranty please go to our parts and service section to obtain our order forms. You can email, mail, or fax the Probe Order Sheet to us along with your payment method and we’ll quickly send you a replacement probe."

mine did that last weekend . I didn't have one of the probes seated correctly

That was weird... I thought I'd give it one morw try. Turned it off. Pulled the wire out of the thermometer/ transmitter and then re-plugged it back in. It still read the dreaded "LLL" when I turned it back. Went inside to get my Therma-Pen and when I came back outside, it was working.

Go figure. I think I'll have another beer.:mrgreen:

Drink one for me. I'm at work. Shhh! Don't tell anyone I'm on the 'puter!

Mine does that from time to time and it is usually not seated well as superlazy said. I have to really apply a lot of pressure to get mine to seat sometimes - more than I think should be necessary.

Come on get a dial . They don't read lllll

Most dials are not near as accurate from my experience. The one on the BGE is about the most accurate one I personally have seen so far. Tel-Tru I believe.

Send an email to Maverick customer support. The address is on their web site or the instructions.

If they offer to send you a replacement probe, be sure it is the right one. They sent me a replacement but I reported difficulty with the cooker probe and they sent me a food probe. :doh: I looked back at the email and they said they would send me a food probe. I didn't notice it until too late. :doh:

If reseating the connection doesn't help, it is likely a bad probe.

Come on get a dial . They don't read lllll

You will get sick of that. Since I got my maverick it is so nice to glance over at the remote. Think about the all night cooks. I do not miss getting up to check or sleeping on your picnic bench.

I've gotten the LLL 2 or 3 times since I've had mine (~ 8 months). I'll pull the probe connection out of the unit, look at it all puzzled like, and put it back in. Sometimes turning it off and on. Seems to fix it every time :wacko:

The times I received that signal it was because I did not have the connection seated properly in the monitor unit. It has those rubber gaskets around the base and if I don't seat the plug in just right I get the dreaded "L"L"L".

I've had a bad probe read LLL.

In my experience it's usually due to moisture... Either from the cooker or the sink. I started putting a dollop of high heat silicone sealant (made by rutland) right where the metal wire goes into the probe. It seems to have fixed it, but I treat those things like faberge eggs so who knows.

Send an email to Maverick customer support. The address is on their web site or the instructions.

If they offer to send you a replacement probe, be sure it is the right one. They sent me a replacement but I reported difficulty with the cooker probe and they sent me a food probe. :doh: I looked back at the email and they said they would send me a food probe. I didn't notice it until too late. :doh:

If reseating the connection doesn't help, it is likely a bad probe.
One more update. I pointed out to Maverick CS that they had sent the wrong probe by mistake and apologized that I had not noticed that in the first reply. They replied that it was no mistake. They were out of the cooker probe so they sent me a dual purpose probe that could be used for either. I uncoiled it to check it out and found it had a 6' lead.

For that matter, either probe seems to work fine in either socket so they must both use the same kind of thermocouple (or whatever sensing element they use.)

Count me among the happy users of Maverick products.

Back