• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Salts???

S

SmokeUSum

So I'm outta salt and I've got a beautiful butt that needs to be prepped in the fridge. I've been working on my own rubs and just wanted other opinions on the best salt for rubs. I've been using kosher for quite a while and been fairly pleased. I brought back a few salts from Maui this summer, by they are too salty?! I can't remember the last time I actually bought regular iodized table salt.

Stick with the kosher? Thoughts? What do you use? Do you use different ones for different meats?

I stick with kosher for rubs with one exception of some Sriracha salt that a friend sent me.

You can try the salts from Maui but if they were expensive they will probably get lost in the rub. It ay be better to use those for finishing salts.

If you need salt for the butt today you can give it a coat of Worcestershire or soy before rubbing.

On butts sometime all I use as a good hand full of table salt and in the smoke it goes. I do like to use Kosher salt in rubs.

I use kosher salt for my rubs. I have Fleur de Sel that I use as finishing salt on steaks.

Whatever you do, don't use bath salts because you might turn into a zombie like the homeless guy in Miami!

Whatever you do, don't use bath salts because you might turn into a zombie like the homeless guy in Miami!

Hahaha! Well, darn, there goes that idea!!!

Thanks gang, y'all confirmed I was doin' the right thing. I'll be pickin' up a box o' Kosher while I'm out and about today.

I use kosher salt for my rubs. I have Fleur de Sel that I use as finishing salt on steaks.

Hey I resemble that remark.

Redmond kosher salt and trader joes fine sea salt which isn't very fine perfect for rubs.

I personally did not have good results with Morton's kosher salt.

I use Kosher salt, and in fact, just one brand, as that prevents surprises. My choice is Redmond RealSalt Kosher salt.

The Hawaiian salt can't be too salty, all sodium chloride salt is 97% identical, sodium chloride. But, the grind makes a big difference. Measure by weight is the best idea.

Salt is salt unless you are using some sort of flavored salt. Kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt, as well as most other types of salt, are primarily sodium chloride (NaCl.) The reason you see different amounts used when using different types of salt is because of the coarse nature of some salts or the crystal density. If you measure salt by weight rather than by volume, you would use the same weight in any recipe.

That being said, there is no salt that is 'saltier' than another salt when you are using the same weight measurement. When you are mixing a salt with other ingredients for a rub, I would not hesitate to say that your palate won't be able to detect any difference from one type of salt to another.

Salt is salt unless you are using some sort of flavored salt. Kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt, as well as most other types of salt, are primarily sodium chloride (NaCl.) The reason you see different amounts used when using different types of salt is because of the coarse nature of some salts or the crystal density. If you measure salt by weight rather than by volume, you would use the same weight in any recipe.

That being said, there is no salt that is 'saltier' than another salt when you are using the same weight measurement. When you are mixing a salt with other ingredients for a rub, I would not hesitate to say that your palate won't be able to detect any difference from one type of salt to another.

Don't tell the salt fanatics, who pay big bucks for gourmet salts. I have a few friends who will argue to death with you over NaCl. I agree with you -- when mixed with other ingredients of a rub, any subtle differences are lost. I keep sea salt, kosher salt, and table salt (not iodized) around. I can taste subtle differences of various salts due to minerality (as evidenced by the different colors). I can't tell any difference when in a rub. Maybe a supertaster can, but not me. I'd like to see double blind studies from those who advocate otherwise. NaCl, it's what's for dinner. :wink:

^^^^^ yes....wholeheartedly. stick to kosher or whatever salt you have that's not fancy.

I've been using Kosher exclusively for years now. I don't even touch the iodized table stuff anymore. A buddy of mine gave me some Himalayan Pink salt. That's some neat stuff.

I've been thinking of giving Sea Salt a try, just from the aspect of getting the minerals I'm not getting from the Mortons Kosher.

Oh...by the way...a fellow also gave my some Italian herbed sea salt.
That stuff is AWESOME!!!!

...but obviously is "taste specific".

Back