Casters for my WSM. Any advise?

StephenK

Reaction score
I'm thinking seriously about adding casters to my WSM 18.5. Anyone want to step me through their mod? Specifically wondering about the best way to drill the holes through the legs. Any pitfalls to avoid with this project? Thanks, folks!

I did this mod on mine and its not hard to do. I got the casters at home depot, the kind that has the threaded rod. When you drill the hole in the legs try and make all of them in the same place. Look at the legs when sitting on a flat surface and note approximately where the center of the feet touch the surface. On the same note don't get too obsessed about drilling the holes in the exact same spot because if they are a little off it won't matter much and I guarantee you won't notice it. BTW its a great mod and I recommend it to all wsm owners. Good luck

Making sure you drill on the bottom of the legs is the important part. Your eyes can deceive you here. I recommend taking you bottom piece out to some concrete and dragging it around to mark up the bottom of the legs where they actually make contact with the ground. I put casters with the threaded rod too but some people buy these small three wheeled furniture dolleys and attach one to each leg. It helps improve the stability of the smoker since its tall and a lot of weight up top if cooking larger meals.

Never considered putting wheels on, but makes perfect sense to move the smoker around. :clap2:

I thought about it for the 22.5 but I found some lucky bricks. I pave all the railroad crossings in Michigan. Went up to port Huron under the blue water bridge and called in the big mill and milled out on both sides of the tracks much to my surprise under 25 inches of asphalt were these road bricks, with the date 1860 stamped on them. I kept three, one for each leg on my wsm. So I covered the rest up with 150 tons of asphalt.

I put those on mine, but it doesn't want to roll straight. Keeps revolving as I'm trying to push it. I'm going to try some spray lube on the wheels and see if it helps.

Back