• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking to purchase a new charcoal smoker

Spicy-Meat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new charcoal smoker. I'm trying to stay under $3000. My goal is to get a smoker that does not require the attention that a stick burner entails especially when I am busy and on the go. I would like to have the capacity to toss on a few racks of ribs as well as a few butts and brisket. I have been looking at the Backwoods and Assassin. I currently have a Lang, UDS and cookshack. I need to have atleast one more in the arsenal. What do the Brethren recommend?

Honestly it comes down to cooking space and if you like cooking over coals with out a diffuser like the UDS you have. If you're looking for set it and forget it you could just add a Guru or IQ etc.. to your UDS.

I'm in the market for a new charcoal smoker. I'm trying to stay under $3000. My goal is to get a smoker that does not require the attention that a stick burner entails especially when I am busy and on the go. I would like to have the capacity to toss on a few racks of ribs as well as a few butts and brisket. I have been looking at the Backwoods and Assassin. I currently have a Lang, UDS and cookshack. I need to have atleast one more in the arsenal. What do the Brethren recommend?

You opened a can of worms on this discussion. Ha ha

A Good One Rodeo is in my line-up. Off-set, vertical, charcoal cooker. Can easily go for 10 hours unattended and you can fit a whole mess o' meat in it. 4 racks 42" wide by 21" deep. I have had over 200# cooking away at once. It is not an insulated cooker and so uses more fuel than one of those I suppose, but a bag of Wicked Good will be all that is needed for the long cooks.

Honestly it comes down to cooking space and if you like cooking over coals with out a diffuser like the UDS you have. If you're looking for set it and forget it you could just add a Guru or IQ etc.. to your UDS.

Please explain how a UDS is not a set it and forget it cooker withou fancy electronics?

For me, Backwoods first. That's only because I've never actually cooked on a Humphrey's. That will probably be my next cooker purchase.

:pop2::pop2::pop2:

Make yourself a spreadsheet of the top smokers, then compare the features. Find out what works best for you. I did exactly that, and it turned out the Pitmaker worked out for me.

Back