Pork Butt ?

DakotaBBQ

Reaction score
Here comes a pretty broad question I'm sure... How many mouths can I figure to stuff with a 6 lb butt pulled and put on a bun? I figure there will be beans and potato salad.

A 6lb raw butt will be about 3lbs cooked. A 5oz sandwich = 3 per pound x 3lbs = 9 sandwiches maybe a couple more if your lucky.

What HogBack said. Did a yield test a couple of months ago. Got 47% yield out of bone in butts. In easy math...10lbs. of raw bone in butts will yield about 4.7 lbs. of serving product when cooked to the pulled pork stage.

Danny

What HogBack said. Did a yield test a couple of months ago. Got 47% yield out of bone in butts. In easy math...10lbs. of raw bone in butts will yield about 4.7 lbs. of serving product when cooked to the pulled pork stage.

Danny
this is what I found out and brisket was very close..I thought the pork would loose more than the brisket, but figure the same loss..
also think about if you load a sandwich up with extra meat, you have to watch that..but cook more than you think to keep off to the side,

I agree with others. I have been running about 44-47% sellable meat from a bone-in Boston butt. That's after shrinkage and fat removal...

Back