• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Finally done reading through all 706 pages. Picking up 2 drums on Saturday and getting started. Have my plans all made and my pages of reading notes. Only thing I need to decide on is the intakes. I know the standard is 3 - 3/4" close nipples (two capped and one with ball valve) and a two inch exhaust. I was thinking of doing 1 - 1 1/2" intake with a riser an ball valve and a two inch exhaust. I got the 1 1/2" pipe, nipple, elbow, and ball valve already for free. The 1 1/2" intake has a little more sq inch area than the 3 - 3/4" intakes so I would have all the adjustment of the K.I.S.S. build plus a little extra for those who say a riser limits air flow. Just wondering if anyone has tried this or if I am not thinking of something.

Thanks for everyone's posts. I will post pictures of mine when finished and try to answer others questions when i can.

I have had issues getting my UDS cooking high 300+ with the standard set up as you mentioned previously. I added a 3" draft to the bung hole and also added a fourth intake 1.5" with a cap.

I have not tested this new set up yet but am looking fwd to it. Curious to see how yours goes with just the single 1.5" intake. Keep us posted.

I was thinking of doing 1 - 1 1/2" intake with a riser an ball valve and a two inch exhaust. I got the 1 1/2" pipe, nipple, elbow, and ball valve already for free. The 1 1/2" intake has a little more sq inch area than the 3 - 3/4" intakes so I would have all the adjustment of the K.I.S.S. build plus a little extra for those who say a riser limits air flow. Just wondering if anyone has tried this or if I am not thinking of something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quick question. I'm building my fifth drum but this time using a dome lid to have 2 racks. Top rack down 1" or 2" below the lip? 2nd rack is still 8" down from the lip of the barrel? thanks

quick question. I'm building my fifth drum but this time using a dome lid to have 2 racks. Top rack down 1" or 2" below the lip? 2nd rack is still 8" down from the lip of the barrel? thanks

That's about where mine go.

Awesome Thread!! Gathering parts slowly but surely. Can't wait to start the build. (cold in MI right now and I hate cold. Still reading in the 400's. No questions. (go figure) Just wanted to say Awesome Thread. Pics will follow.......

Alright, I have finally finished the thread an unfortunely have to correct myself. I have one question. In the last 300 posts there has been mention that people have sent a couple UDS's to junk yards. Is this because they rusted out? I would think that painting them would pretty much stop the rust on the outside and of course seasoning on the inside would prevent rust on the inside. Am I missing something? I also see that different people use different paints: High Heat, Spray and roll on, and powder coated. Can a few comment on how long their UDS is lasting with the different paint jobs, for instance wear and tear. Do they stay as nice looking as they start or do they all have to be touched up? Hopefully I don't sound to stupid. And yes, guested that ended up being more than 1 question.:confused:

Alright, I have finally finished the thread an unfortunely have to correct myself. I have one question. In the last 300 posts there has been mention that people have sent a couple UDS's to junk yards. Is this because they rusted out? I would think that painting them would pretty much stop the rust on the outside and of course seasoning on the inside would prevent rust on the inside. Am I missing something? I also see that different people use different paints: High Heat, Spray and roll on, and powder coated. Can a few comment on how long their UDS is lasting with the different paint jobs, for instance wear and tear. Do they stay as nice looking as they start or do they all have to be touched up? Hopefully I don't sound to stupid. And yes, guested that ended up being more than 1 question.:confused:

I am also curious on how long they last. I heard that the ash if left in barrel can make it rust but I would think that may only be if water is left In it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys,

Great thread.
Anyone from Ireland on here or will I be the first to build a UDS in Ireland (doubtful but who knows.

Anyway I think i've tracked down a place that can provide me an unlined brand new drum (http://d1380847.u185.host.ie/section.php/57/1/steel-drums) A round open topped 55gl drum is what I think I need anyway (providing it's unlined etc.) I really don't fancy having to burn it out and clean it up as I don't have the required sander tools etc.

Hey guys,

Great thread.
Anyone from Ireland on here or will I be the first to build a UDS in Ireland (doubtful but who knows.

Anyway I think i've tracked down a place that can provide me an unlined brand new drum (http://d1380847.u185.host.ie/section.php/57/1/steel-drums) A round open topped 55gl drum is what I think I need anyway (providing it's unlined etc.) I really don't fancy having to burn it out and clean it up as I don't have the required sander tools etc.

Sandpaper, a wire brush and some elbow grease worked for me, not that bad.

I have been working on mine and could not wait any longer to use it. It will still get re-painted with a side table and handle for moving eventually but here it is as of today. It works great and held temp for 5 hours without changing.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 685
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 684
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 684
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 685
  • photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 683
I have been working on mine and could not wait any longer to use it. It will still get re-painted with a side table and handle for moving eventually but here it is as of today. It works great and held temp for 5 hours without changing.

Looks Great,

I hadn't really considered using a chimney, do you think it adds to the performance?

Just for thought you really don't need that heavy weight expanded metal for a charcoal basket. It really is is a just cage to hold the charcoal. I've been using the lighter stuff for years and have never had one burn out. Guess it all depends on whats available in your area. But the lighter stuff is so much easier to bend. Nice basket though.

Thanks...I bet it would have been so much easier. The only reason I used that was it was free. A friend had a half sheet laying around so I cut off 12".

Looks Great,

I hadn't really considered using a chimney, do you think it adds to the performance?

I was just trying to make it look cool.. It was more of a project and conversation piece then a ugly drum..

burn out clean

Hey guys workin on my first UDS build and just burn out the drum yesterday. The drum that I got was used to hold orange juice and had like gold teflon like liner. After the burn the paint on the outside was really easy to sand off, but the soot and crap on the inside is tough to remove. I was thinking about maybe using some comet or ajax to loosen it up, anyone ever tried that.

Hey man! I'm in Ireland too.....Dublin to be more precise! What are you cooking on?
I tried a UDS last summer but messed it up in a SERIOUS manner! Having difficulty with sourcing a 55 gallon for a second attempt. Let me know how you are getting on and if I can be of any help in letting you know where I went wrong get in touch.

Hey man! I'm in Ireland too.....Dublin to be more precise! What are you cooking on?
I tried a UDS last summer but messed it up in a SERIOUS manner! Having difficulty with sourcing a 55 gallon for a second attempt. Let me know how you are getting on and if I can be of any help in letting you know where I went wrong get in touch.

Hey Simon.
Im in dublin too.

At the moment im not doing any cooking as im apartment living.

Luckily we have a place in the middle of nowhere in wexford so will get the uds up and running down there for, hopefully, some good summer cooks.

Ive emailed a few commercial suppliers of steel drums but have had no responses yet. I used to work for kerry group and could probably get some food grade drums from down listowel direction....
Where did you get your first drum from?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back