First Boston butt

MrDsmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys I officially made my first Boston butt. I smoked on my kettle for 6 hrs and it came out great! Unfortunately there was a group of people waiting so I didn't take pics. My question is since I foiled it should i have kept the juice to keep the meat more moist once I pulled the pork?

Hey guys I officially made my first Boston butt. I smoked on my kettle for 6 hrs and it came out great! Unfortunately there was a group of people waiting so I didn't take pics. My question is since I foiled it should i have kept the juice to keep the meat more moist once I pulled the pork?
No pics! :twitch:

I don't usually foil but if I did I'd open up the foil and dump the entire contents into a large container and do the pulling with the juice.

I don't normally foil, but... If I know that I will be freezing some of the pulled, I will put a drip tray under it to collect the juices for the freezer bag. Some of it will go in as I am pulling as well. Same would apply to foiling.

If I foil, I generally just put the butt in a pan and foil over it, so all the juices are there. I then pull the pork in that same pan.

I have never wrapped a butt but when I have a bunch left over and need something to help keep it moist, I have made up some of this and mixed it in prior to freezing. I have also mixed it in for serving before.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce

(makes about 5 cups)

4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dry mustard
4 tablespoon brown sugar
3 bay leaf
6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

I taste the foil juice and decide if I want to use it or not. 90% of the time I do :-D I use a separater to get rid of the grease.

Thanks for the help guys. For those that don't foil what is your technique if you don't mind sharing?

I only foil butts when they're resting in a cooler for a couple of hours. I've eaten pulled pork almost straight off the smoker, and the average person couldn't tell much of a difference, but I prefer a post-smoke wrap.

Back