How Early to Buy Pork Butts & Ribs Before the Competition?

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How early can you buy the pork butts and ribs before the competition? Is 1 week before the comp. too early?

Thanks,

Maybe or maybe not. It depends on their pack date and if they are cryovacked in a cold fridge.

Cryovacked in a cold fridge..........probably from RD.............not sure about the pack date.

I buy butts from RD usually on Tuesdays prior to the contest and ribs from Sam's on Wednesdays. I don't buy the ribs from RD because the heavier ribs have the brisket bone attached which just makes for more waste. Also, there is a date on the cryovac of the ribs at Sam's.

Benny

I put an order in with our local butcher about a week ahead to give him time to get everything. Then I pick the meat up the weds or Thurs before.

Thanks for the advice. I tend to buy the butts and ribs the week of the comp.........just wondering how far in advance I can get these, as I was going to RD today. I'll stick to what I was doing.........seems in line with you guys.

The RDepot ribs/meat also have dates on them. Its a 3 digit Julian code for the day of the year. Always look for the highest number. Example code 119 = the 119th day of the year. Jan 1 = 001, Dec 31 = 365)

Good to know, thanks!

The RDepot ribs/meat also have dates on them. Its a 3 digit Julian code for the day of the year. Always look for the highest number. Example code 119 = the 119th day of the year. Jan 1 = 001, Dec 31 = 365)

Thanks! What does that date mean........sell by date, kill date, etc.?

You'll be fine a week out with anything from RD but do check for the higher date code. Our RD (and most I would suspect) moves a lot of meat and I have never had a freshness problem. The 3 digit date code on the label is the date that particular cut is weighed and labeled for individual sale. For cuts labeled that day you can usually check the cases still on the shelf to find the pack date since they were more than likely pulled from the same pallet. All that aside pork in its original cryo will last in the coldest part of your fridge...I've been told upwards of a month from pack date but don't quote me on that. Once the cryo is opened though all bets are off on shelf life!

You'll be fine a week out with anything from RD but do check for the higher date code. Our RD (and most I would suspect) moves a lot of meat and I have never had a freshness problem. The 3 digit date code on the label is the date that particular cut is weighed and labeled for individual sale. For cuts labeled that day you can usually check the cases still on the shelf to find the pack date since they were more than likely pulled from the same pallet. All that aside pork in its original cryo will last in the coldest part of your fridge...I've been told upwards of a month from pack date but don't quote me on that. Once the cryo is opened though all bets are off on shelf life!

Thanks Matt!

Back