Brisket ... to sear or not to sear ???

B

BPDC

OK folks.... I'm new to smoking brisket (or anything else for that matter) but I have done a couple and I have been told to sear the meat with high heat for an hour with fat cap up.... then roll it over and smoke it at 225 from then on.

Here's my question... Is searing really necessary?
Will searing also preclude some smoke penetration over the long haul?
Will I still get a nice bark if I don't sear it up front like this?

Let me know what is typical... I have two on right now. Started at 2 a.m.

Thanks a million

Searing is not necessary. Hours in the pit (and rub) will give you a nice bark.

Searing would inhibit a smoke ring, because it is created when nitrogen (by product of burning wood) mixes with moisture in/on the meat.

If you sear, there will be some smoke flavor as always, but that flavor is only on the outer surface, just like a steaks Char flavor is only on the surface.

how about wrapping in tin foil at 170 in order to preserve some juices?
wrap or no wrap?

I have in the other one i smoked but today I'm thinking of just leaving them on til it's around 200 internal

what's the recommendation on wrapping with tin at 170 ?

how about wrapping in tin foil at 170 in order to preserve some juices?
wrap or no wrap?

I have in the other one i smoked but today I'm thinking of just leaving them on til it's around 200 internal

what's the recommendation on wrapping with tin at 170 ?

It's up to you, some wrap some don't. I don't.......

Don't pull it at 170 for sure, will be closer to 190-200. When your temp probe goes in like butter it's done.

I have seared 2 of them & must say I did not care for the taste as much as regular low -n- slow.

A judge gave me a recipe that works. In a foil pan fat side up until 165 -170. Cover for the last three hours. Soft, tender, juicy every time. Not for comps but great stuff.

Back