Which short rib should I get?

Blah64

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was at Restaurant Depot today and wanted to buy some short ribs after seeing some of them massive meaty pics in a few recent threads, but I saw two different kinds, and then realized that I didn't know which one I should get.

There was a 'chuck short rib' that was >$3/lb.
Then there was 'rib short rib' that was >$6/lb.

Which one do people prefer for smoking?

I didn't see the name, but based on the prices it looks like I got the "rib short rib" and they were really, really fantastic. They came in packs of 4 and they were 3 bone racks. I got them at RD.

I'm gonna have to say it's my favorite cut of beef these days.

photo-146.jpg

photo-148.jpg

The chuck ribs are probably good too, but that's just a guess on my part. Maybe I'll check those out next time I go there.

I didn't see the name, but based on the prices it looks like I got the "rib short rib" and they were really, really fantastic. They came in packs of 4 and they were 3 bone racks. I got them at RD.

I'm gonna have to say it's my favorite cut of beef these days.

photo-146.jpg

photo-148.jpg

The chuck ribs are probably good too, but that's just a guess on my part. Maybe I'll check those out next time I go there.

Do you get into RD with a kcbs membership?

Do you get into RD with a kcbs membership?

Yup. PM or call if you wanna come with me one day. Not sure when I'll be going, but it'll be in the next month or so I think.

I don't know what a chuck rib is, they're either backs or spares according to my cow chart. The pictures in this thread are an excellent example of beef spare ribs. They look well rendered too and that's key with beef ribs so's they come out tender and not greasy. When it comes to beef ribs, falling off the bone is perfectly acceptable! Good looking rack there gtr.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I don't think I've seen rib short ribs at our RD, but they do have chuck short ribs and they are very meaty. Here are some that I cooked a while back...

1695327d.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125209

It seems like the meat guys at RD use their own names at time. The tri-tips around here are labeled as "beef triangles" at RD.

These are the two main types on "Short Ribs" that one will run across:

Item No. 123A - Beef Short Plate, Short Ribs, Trimmed - This item is as described in Item No. 123 except that it shall be derived from the 6th, 7th, and 8th ribs of the short plate, the M.serratus ventralis shall be continuous across the cut surface for at least 2 ribs on both the dorsal and ventral sides, and the exterior fat cover and the M.latissimus dorsi shall be removed.

Item No. 130 - Beef Chuck, Short Ribs - This item may be derived from the arm portion of any IMPS chuck item and shall include ribs 2 through 5, M. intercostales interni, and M.serratus ventralis. This item shall be trimmed practically free of surface fat. The dorsal edge shall have no evidence of the cartilaginous junctures of the ribs and thoracic vertebrae.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3003281

This is an example of Item No. 123A - Beef Short Plate, Short Ribs, Trimmed
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155917

This is an example of Item No. 130 - Beef Chuck, Short Ribs
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2113497#post2113497

I personally prefer Item 130 - Beef Chuck, Short Ribs. They are the 4 bone racks, not the 3 bone racks.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
When I was younger, and lived in South Africa, there was a restaurant called Rhodesian Rawhide .... they only served beef ribs (900 gram portions) and served it with chips and cold beer

they used 'full cage beef rib', and it was cooked to perfection ... soft, succulent with really good spices ...

rumour had it that they were marinated in coca cola to soften them

I will be trying to replicate this soon

Back