Expanded metal prices

HookedOnQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up if u dont already knowL home depot and lowes expanded metal is extreamly over priced i went to a local welding shop and purchased #9 or 9 gauge expanded for 2.30 a sq ft and they had 13 gauge same thickness home depot and lowes sell for 1.85 a sq ft not to mention they cut it any size i needed for no extra charge. Home depot and lowes have a 2ftx2ft piece for 20.00 what a rip off .. Check with ur local metal supplier or welding shop before running to the big box stores Hopefully this helps someone save a buck or two

Our Home Depot doesn't carry it but I found just what I wanted for a good price at a metal supply just as you suggest.

Yeah Home Depot got me for the $20 spot but it came out alright after a week's worth of work!

good info above...I also call the scrap yards, they sell at double what they buy for ..however half what would be if new..
call warehouses / shops and check / ask for drops..I have made many...many grates..also they have stainless rods ..I have bought 10 foot bars at scrap price...sheets of alum diamond plate...sheets polished stainless...all from the scrap yard...the warehouses have sheets that they will sell you if it has a dent in it...or has been contaminated..they dont like like selling to the general public, however when you are explaining you are making a bbq project..veryone always seems to help out!! and once you establish a good conection ..ribs and pulled pork are appreciated!!

Any kind of metal stock at Lowes or HD is overpriced. It's usually2x more there than if you can get it an an iron place, or welding supply. As an example, I can get a 20' length of 1-1/4 angle iron from a local iron supplier for $20. At lowes 1- 6 ft length is $18. Tractor supply is just as bad

I can pick up a full 4x8 sheet for 60 bucks. Thats about 4 maybe 5 if you played with it a little bit. Fire baskets that is.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up if u dont already knowL home depot and lowes expanded metal is extreamly over priced i went to a local welding shop and purchased #9 or 9 gauge expanded for 2.30 a sq ft and they had 13 gauge same thickness home depot and lowes sell for 1.85 a sq ft not to mention they cut it any size i needed for no extra charge. Home depot and lowes have a 2ftx2ft piece for 20.00 what a rip off .. Check with ur local metal supplier or welding shop before running to the big box stores Hopefully this helps someone save a buck or two

What shop was it? (PM me if you don't want to mention it in a public forum). I found a guy on the Richmond CL that does welding - (no job too bog or too small kind of shop) called and asked if he had any scraps. He had a bunch of both 9 and 13 gauge laying around. He sold me a couple of pieces for 15 bucks. It was easily enough to make two, maybe three baskets with some left over. I'll try and find his info if you want it. He is out in Hanover though.

Yeah, Amazon is a good place to look. I had a 4' x 4' sheet delivered free for under $30 a couple of years ago. I made 2 large baskets out of that and still have enough material left over to make 2 more.

What shop was it? (PM me if you don't want to mention it in a public forum). I found a guy on the Richmond CL that does welding - (no job too bog or too small kind of shop) called and asked if he had any scraps. He had a bunch of both 9 and 13 gauge laying around. He sold me a couple of pieces for 15 bucks. It was easily enough to make two, maybe three baskets with some left over. I'll try and find his info if you want it. He is out in Hanover though.

Gale welding in petersburg is where i got it i have used them a lot in the past and its like five mins from work so i can run over on lunch and pick it up.. My brothers a welder by trade i got him checking to see what he can get it for tru his work. Sounds like u got yours for a fair price also

i get mine at a local metal shop. cheap and they are glad to get rid of it. i assume that almost every town has some shop or other like that.

i just bought 3/4 inch flat 13 gauge 4x8 sheets for 38$ you gotta buy from a wholesaler

Back