Splash Proof Thermapen

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the water proof durability aspect of it?

I've had mine for several years and had no problems. However, it's either in my pocket or being used. It never just get laid down somewhere and I also clean and sanitize it myself. So, no, I've never had to test it's water resistance. :mrgreen:

Only trouble I've had with my Thermapen is that my first one grew legs and walked away at a charity event.

LOVE the Thermapen - thankfully, I went with the fastest, most accurate ORANGE model.

Only trouble I've had with my Thermapen is that my first one grew legs and walked away at a charity event.

There are so many things wrong with that whole scenario. I could only hope that it was accidental. Stealing from a pastor at a charity event is digging a karmical hole from which there is little chance of escape.

Thanks guys. Sorry to hear about the stolen unit. The company I work for asked me to purchase 5 digital thermometers. They have to be waterproof as they may get wet during use. Will the splashproof pen be suffice?

Call Thermapen and ask - they are very helpful on the phone and will shoot straight with you.

There are so many things wrong with that whole scenario. I could only hope that it was accidental. Stealing from a pastor at a charity event is digging a karmical hole from which there is little chance of escape.

Well, it really did suck, but the Brethren felt sorry for me and replaced it...a couple of times...so now i have a backup.

The charity event was a very worthy cause and if someone would have asked me if I'd give up my Thermapen to help raise money for it, I would have said yes, but it still hacked me off that it walked away.

As far as how splashproof they are, I have heard of people leaving them in the rain and them still working, but i don't know if we are talking heavy rain or not...

I think I'm going to order them. I see their is an accessory called a silicon boot. That should help as well. :thumb:

That would probably help a lot. I do know they are not waterproof.

I think I'm going to order them. I see their is an accessory called a silicon boot. That should help as well. :thumb:

You might hold off and wait for a deal. I know some times they run sales or even have refurb units for a decent discount.

They give discounts on multiple units, I believe...

Yeah, it was very sad, especially considering that Dan lives in a small town in Central Illinois, not a big city.

BUT... The saddest part is that Dan still believes that Orange is the fastest and most accurate color Thremapen :boxing: :becky:

My original hyperfast and mega-accurate yellow Thermapen (not the splashproof version) was left in the rain one night and didn't work the next day. I called Thermoworks and for a small fee (I think it was $10) they repaired it. So, even if something does happen to the Splash-proof version, Thermoworks will stand behind their products.

I now have a hyperfast and mega-accurate Mellow Yellow splashproof Thermapen for competitions, but I have been more careful and haven't left it out in the rain. Maybe I should look at the silicon boot just in case :-D

Ron...Ron...Ron...I love you and since you are probably still pumped about your perfect brisket score, I won't correct your so obviously wrong perception about Thermapens. This time. LOL.

I don't know of anyone who has a Thermapen that is unhappy with it, so I would order if I were you.

Ron...Ron...Ron...I love you and since you are probably still pumped about your perfect brisket score, I won't correct your so obviously wrong perception about Thermapens. This time. LOL.

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

I talked to a rep. He said that if the pen fell in a bucket of water that you'd have to grab it pretty quick and it would still work. So if it falls in a bucket of water for like a minute, it will probably not work.

I went ahead and got them. They are for work, but I'll be taking one home. :becky:

The new Thermapen is "Splash Proof" and "Water Resistant", not "Water Proof".
I copied the following from the manual for the new Thermapen.

Cleaning and Maintenance
[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT][FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]To avoid potential bacteria growth and cross-contamination, wipe the probe after each use and regularly clean the entire Thermapen body. We recommend anti-bacterial wipes or a damp paper towel with an anti-bacterial cleaning solution. DO NOT IMMERSE THE THERMAPEN. The built-in seals will protect the Thermapen from incidental moisture but due to the folding probe, the Thermapen should not be submerged. Protect the plastic body[/FONT]

[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]Seems pretty straight forward to me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]Mrs Kapn just got back from Md visiting with our baby boy (LtCol in the Air Force).[/FONT]
[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]After many years of my "suggesting" , he has discovered the joy of cooking to an IT. Not just on the grill, but in the kitchen.[/FONT]
[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]She wants to send him a Thermapen.[/FONT]
[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]So, I am gonna order a new one for me. [/FONT]
[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]We only have 3 now :-D[/FONT]
[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]Then, send him one of my gently used ones.[/FONT]
[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]Love him to death, but that new one is MINE!!!!![/FONT]
[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]Works for me :-D[/FONT]

[FONT=Swiss 72 1 BT,Swiss 72 1 BT]TIM [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Did they offer any other options. They do have industrial options. I am surprised they didn't offer other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lowly cousin of the Thermapen the rt600c is waterproof (can run through a dishwasher), quick, and way cheaper. Still a quality product from Thermoworks. Just not as cool (colors, foldable) like the Thermopen.

Splash proof is a far cry from waterproof...If you were buying it with your own money, and knew full well it was gonna get wet, would you chance it?

Back