View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #9844
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfleetline View Post
i just got 2 closed top drums from a feed store near my home...no liner.......now the fun can start.....i remember reading about a process of removing the tops a closed drum with a grinder and cutting through 2 or 3 of the metal layers....but i can find the youtube clip..can anyone help....thanks Joe
Honestly many folks me included cut the very top bead off to make some kind of lid fit. If you can figure out if you have to cut that top bead off anyway, why not just slice it off now ? I cut mine off by setting the 4.5" makita on top of a bench level on the "blade gaurd" then moving the drum around the cutting blade, some lay it on the concrete floor to do the same job.

If you look at a soda can you will see I think the same construction as a drum head, now take that can out and run the top rim on your bench grinder, and you can pop the top right out, probably would work on a drum too if you still want the "ring" in place. My flat lid came from another drum and was too big of a dia to fit inside the "ring".

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote