Seasoning New Smoker

jeffreywp1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm picking up a new smoker:-D and will be seasoning it this weekend. What is the best oil to use and should I season the outside?

Thanks
Jeff

Welcome Jeff. What kind of smoker did you get?

I use a couple few cans of Pam on the inside. Some people use bacon grease, lard, etc. Depends a lot on the size of smoker. On the outside, again, I use high temp Pam.

I'm sure others will have different options

10W-30 :wink: I wouldn't season the outside. Welcome to the Brethren! Good to have ya here.

Most people use the spray oil (Pam). Spray everything inside including racks. Try to stay right at 250 for at least the first couple of hours, this will help cure the new high temp paint also. Don't build a raging fire in the F/B to start. I was told this by my pit builder and the paint on my offset is lasting great, even on the F/B. Some people spray the outside also, some don't.

I used vegetable oil in a spray bottle for the inside. I just started seasoning the outside. On the outside I used mineral oil. Thats what I use on my cast iron and works great and looks good so far.

Any good food grade oil, crisco or lard; the higher the smoke point the better. I've found a generic brand spray canolla oil that I've been using for convenience. Flax seed oil is great but a little pricey.

I just hit the cook racks with a lil' spray oil,... buyer's choice. I let time and use season the inside, and I have never put anything on the outside of a smoker besides some touch up paint every now and then.
Congrats on the newbie. Thats always a good feeling.

Pam works for me, but any food quality oil in a spray bottle would work just as well. LIke dwfisk said, the higher the smoke point the better.

I was wondering if you use the Pam on outside of the grill, is it okay to put a cover over the grill? Will the Pam somehow make the cover deteriorate faster? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Welcome Jeff. What kind of smoker did you get?

I use a couple few cans of Pam on the inside. Some people use bacon grease, lard, etc. Depends a lot on the size of smoker. On the outside, again, I use high temp Pam.

I'm sure others will have different options

I used vegetable oil in a spray bottle for the inside. I just started seasoning the outside. On the outside I used mineral oil. Thats what I use on my cast iron and works great and looks good so far.

Where do you get your spray bottle to spray oil? I've tried it before and the oil didn't spray out very well :)

We used to by generic spray bottles sold in bathroom and home sections of your grocery stores. We used this for tanning and put baby oil and water in it. It sprayed fine.

Where do you get your spray bottle to spray oil? I've tried it before and the oil didn't spray out very well :)

I got it at the grocery store where I bought the oil. I think it was in the section with all the oil but Im not sure. It was one of the tall bottles not the little short ones. Picked it up for a buck. Worked great

i use pam on the inside and for the outside i use a 50/50 mix of vegatable oil and water in a spray bottle

I got a 250 gallon reverse flow cooker with grill attached. How much Pam will that take?

My entire grill/roaster box is Stainless 304, I plan to just rub down the inside of the box and grill with lard. Thoughts? Is that even necessary?

Back