Roll Call. Inside 30 days. NYC BBQ Cook-Off, Staten Island, NY

Joemat very nice....

So all I have been stalking this thread since this is my first event...I have a couple of my buddies coming who honestly don't know how the cook goes they are just there BC they can make sure I can try and get some sleep and help the pit run..so if you had one thing of advice for me what would it be. Thanks all looking forward to meeting everyone

Joemat very nice....

So all I have been stalking this thread since this is my first event...I have a couple of my buddies coming who honestly don't know how the cook goes they are just there BC they can make sure I can try and get some sleep and help the pit run..so if you had one thing of advice for me what would it be. Thanks all looking forward to meeting everyone

Talk to as many competitors as you can and soak up as much knowledge as possible. Lots of good cooks will be there and most willing to lend you a hand. Don't be shy about asking questions -- just not at turn-in time :-D:-D

Well the new pit finally arrived. Ordered it back on December 2nd. I uncrated it today and put the wheels on. Solid as a tank.

Staten Island will be the first real cook. Will get it seasoned tomorrow and try to do a test cook. Gonna be rough not having a lot of hours with it but I will have my BGE's as well. It will be a fun time anyway. Looking forward to seeing you guy's.

Nice pit. Know the feeling, last season did my first comp ever (BBQ Battle in DC) on a pit I owned for less than a week.

Joemat very nice....

I am relatively new myself, having just done 3 comps. Also, in the same boat as my teammates don't really know anything when it comes to the cooking for the comp, they are guys that help at my tailgate parties. My suggestion is nail down your timetable, the exact times for everything you need to do, from precook, to when to load what on, to when to spritz, etc. Type it up and print out a few copies.

Oh, and come by our site friday night for a beer and a burger and introduce yourself, gonna have food setup around 8pm. I don't know many people myself so hopefully this can be a good way to network a little bit in person.

Joemat very nice....

My best advice is be confident in your methods and stick to them. Changing things at the last minute isn't a good idea. Know your pit very well and make sure you get it to temp in plenty of time. Have a good timetable.

Most of all have fun.

BBQ MAIFA will not be there this year. Between having a heart attack on Feb 23rd and just getting out of the hospital today after my third 7 day stay with heart and lung issues, I need to just sit back and read the results. I hope to see you guys at another comp.

Good luck to all of you!

BBQ MAIFA will not be there this year. Between having a heart attack on Feb 23rd and just getting out of the hospital today after my third 7 day stay with heart and lung issues, I need to just sit back and read the results. I hope to see you guys at another comp.

Good luck to all of you!

Guido. Sorry to hear this. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope to see you at a future competition.

Hi Phil Sorry to hear about your health problems. Get your needed rest and see you around.
DanB

Guido, won't be the same without you and your sons. Get better and we'll see you later in the year.

Good luck to all of you!

Lame excuse! 😉 Wishing you a speedy recovery Phil

Good luck to all of you!

Phil, we will miss you, but your health is much more important than this comp. Rest up and feel better!

did you happen to mention to him the comments in this thread regarding how the people's choice is handled ?

Eze is aware of the issues from last year & has new procedures for the PC in place & will go over them at the Cook's meeting.

Just a heads up. I spoke with one of the guys from Richmond Town. I just wanted to ensure that I could pre-trim my meats. Just like the KCBS rules indicate. I got confirmation via email that pre-trimming is fine, just no pre-seasoning.

This is fully what I expected, but just wanted to ensure that some meat inspector doesnt have a stick up his rear if I pre-trim.

See you all next Friday.

Yes pre trim is allowed as long as you meet the weight requirements for the pork (4lbs at inspection). Look forward to seeing you

Nancy -KCBS Rep

i won't be able to make it, hope everyone has a great time!

Get better fast Phil
Happy Birthday Don, Laura & Christine
F you other Phil
Good luck everyone else,
Cheers

Phil-
We love you and hope to see you back on the BBQ scene very soon. Get well SOON!

Sean- Catch you at the next one. Peace brotha.

See ya'll on Friday. Excited for the 1st comp of the season! I'm ready! Good luck to everyone and Happy Smoking!

I started another thread with this but might as well post here as well. Swing by our site friday night for a beer and a burger, all competitors are welcome

sicompetitorflyer.png

Not to steal any thunder from Joe, but since it is a Friday during Lent, some of us will be heading to Nonna's for pizza Friday night but will migrate back to Joe's site after All are welcome to experience "the best pizza on Staten Island"
http://www.yelp.com/biz/nonnas-pizzeria-staten-island

Congrats to Stubborn Bull BBQ for winning today's comp.

We were fortunate to get some really nice weather.

I was pleased to break-in the new smoker with a 15th overall and getting a call (6th) on Pork. Need more practice to dial her in.

Nice to speak with many of you there.

Back