• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I want to build a UDS

PalmettoSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm planning to add a UDS to my collection. I've never built one before, but it doesn't seem that difficult to do (I could be wrong). I plan to buy the kit from Big Poppa.

My question is where to buy the drum? I found a guy around me who sells drums that look brand new for $20. The only issue is that they used to have hydraulic oil in them. Can these still be used? $20 seems like an awesome price, and I would love to take advantage if I'm not going to kill anyone by cooking on it!

I don't know if I would trust it. For $20 I think you can find something better, many businesses will practically give them away. Look for food grade and you know you will be safe, just my two cents. Some people will probably tell you to have it sand blasted or burn it out several times, up to you and your level of comfort on safety.

Driver,

I tend to agree. The only reason I asked was because the listing specifically mentioned that they could be used for smokers. I've tried finding them elsewhere, but I literally have no idea where to look (other than Craigslist and Ebay).

I would have no problem using those barrels. Think of all the fuel oil tanks used for BBQ. Many people have posted in the past about using hydraulic fluid barrels with no problem. A good wash and a burn-out will clean it out.

I used an oil drum for mine, the up side is the oil drums usually don't have the liner inside that you have to grind off like the food grade ones usually do. I just cleaned mine out thuroughly with a detergent, burned about 4 or 5 pallets in it, and cleaned it again. Came out fine.

I agree with dadsr4 and ncoonis. My first one originally had some kind of lotion in it. Did it bother me? No. I just burned the fark out of and cleaned it up real nice and no problem so far. But I tend not to worry about a whole lot of things. Just depends how you feel about it. Some people are different. Good luck on your build you will LOVE it!

Yep mine had hydraulic fluid in it. Good burn with the barrel glowin and a good cleanin after and you're makin Que soo good your tongue will slap you silly.

A few good burns and it will be fine the upside to it is that it should be unlined so u wont have to worry about fighting a liner

Drain out all the liquid that is in it. Then do a big hot burn in the barrel to destroy the chemicals in the barrel as well as to remove any liner that can possibly be in it. Take a wire wheel to it and then you are good to go.

I have made 2 from hydraulic fluid drums. I burn the exterior paint off with a weed burner which gets the steel nice and red. Nobody is dead around here....

Back