Why should I get a Thermapen?

I have 2.Use them nightly.The thermapen will save more food from overcooking in 3 months than it costs.The grill is certainly not their only use.They are great for inside cooking/baking too.I have 4 et 73's.They have their place and I love em.You can check multiple places in a dish with the thermapen within seconds.The others are ONLY gonna take temps wherever the probe tip is located.Of ALL the Q gadgets I have bought,and it is a plethora,the thermapen was the best money spent,only because my Large BGE was a gift!!!

I love mine and have to hide from my son (he now has to check his food).
I used to do the therm probe thing, but with time and "some" practice I just use the pen as the red one reads fast enough to just pop the UDS lid for a sec so I don't get temp spikes.
"whew" long sentance...

I love mine and have to hide from my son (he now has to check his food).
I used to do the therm probe thing, but with time and "some" practice I just use the pen as the red one reads fast enough to just pop the UDS lid for a sec so I don't get temp spikes.
"whew" long sentance...

yep, the temp spikes in the drum is what convinced me to buy a thermapen.. in and out in 10 seconds

What about the big green egg instant read digital thermometer that they claim registers the temperature in 1 second and is less than half the price??? Any comments?

My 372 works great, but for a quick check on a steak, or chicken:

The thermapen can't be beat!

Just make sure to get the PURPLE unit. It's faster!

Thermapen has made me a much better cook, but more for grilling than smoking. Steaks, chops, fish, burgers, etc., are all done perfectly now, every time.

Because it's the ONLY "Instant read" meat therm I've ever used. My wife and I use it all the time, and I checked it just a couple of months back....still accurate and right on the money. :thumb:

No doubt it is expensive, most quality toys are. Do you need one? Probably not, but I use this for all types of cooking not just BBQ. I take it when I know I will be BBQing at someone elses place or when I travel. Small, easily transportable, and extremely accurate. My wife actually bought mine for me as a gift so I didn't have to convince her I needed one, just dropped a lot of hints.

If you break her down and decide to get one make sure you get Orange because it is Warp speed fast! :shock:

I have a cheaper thermoworks as well as a thermopen and all I use anymore is the thermopen. The size is great - fits perfectly in the hand. The numbers are large and easy to read. It is splash proof. It has a protective area when closed to prevent damage. It really is just great.

And if that wasn't enough...

My blazin fast yellow pen is so fast I can see into the future and tell what time my ribs will be done! Yellow is of course, the fastest color.

I have an ET732 to go along with my super fast RED Thermopen.
They work very well together. I also have a rough time ripping the RED thermopen out of my wife's hands.

Your wife doesn't seek your approval prior to buying shoes, and your thermapen is equivalent to maybe 2 shoe purchases. If she asks, tell her all the money you saved by only having "x" pairs of shoes enabled you to buy that thermapen.

They sound very, very good. I find a fifteen year old dented candy thermometer with a +- 30 F really helps my cooking a lot. You can find them at garbage dumps, or in your junk cabinet.

You're going at it all wrong. The thermopen is like a set of new tires. A great investment in safety and it helps save money (bad Q). Just say I care too much about ya baby to serve undone Q.

Because, you never know when you're going to be caught BBQ'ing naked and all you have to hide behind is the ever-so-trusty thermapen. Plus, it'll be visual evidence of just how HOT you really are!

732's are a great thermometer but it is not quick. My Thermopen is really fast and a great way to get a temperature when you don't want to put a big hole in your product.
BTW you could tell your wife that you need it for safety reasons.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

I might just get one... I will have to wait until I sell my other grill, that way I can just transfer the money over to another item. :grin:

If its accurate and fast you don't need a new thermometer.

Back