• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Hey all

This thread is crazy long ..to find my answer. I just bought some expanded metal to extend my Backwoods Party firebox. I just went 4 inches higher then the standard box. I fastened it together with some rods that I had to bend with tools. It's really too thick to work with. So I just put it together enough for a cook to see how it works.

What's everyone using to fasten their expanded metal? Any pics?

Thanks!!

Did you see my post a page back? - rebar tie wire worked well for me. Any home center will have it. A pair of lineman's pliers (also called Kleins) and you can twist it up and snip easily.

WOW!

Got some scrap expanded metal from a friend who owns a metal fab shop. It was only about 5" tall, but very heavy so I didn't fuss one bit.
I didn't want to wait for Monday to go to his shop to weld it up, so used rebar wire tie to connect it.

noweldbasket-vi.jpg

Cut so pattern continues.

wiresides-vi.jpg

Bottom View

basketbottomview-vi.jpg

First Time Poster

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I thought I would share pictures of my new UDS that I built....all due to the information on this forum. I did a test cook for the first time last weekend....did some babybacks. Had some trouble maintaining temp above 200 I think due to my smaller charcoal basket. Anyways I plan to fix that this weekend and I'm cooking for a large party this Sunday. Plan on doing some spare ribs, pork butts, and chicken. Hopefully everything turns out well. Anyways here are some pics of my drum while building and cooking.

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

looks like you have plenty of exhaust. How many intakes did you have open? My drum runs 200 with one opened and 2 in exhaust. Your fire basket looks big enough also. Good lookin ribs by the way.

I have 4 intakes at the bottom which were drilled 1" in diameter and threaded with 3/4" piple nipples. I started out with all 4 open until the temp started getting close to 200 and then closed all but 1. As time went on and my temps started to drop I started taking 1 cap off of each intake until all 4 were open again. My charcaol ring I was using only measured about 7" in diameter. I plan to make it larger so its about 13-14" in diameter. Hopefully that will allow for longer cook times and more steady temp control

Patrick

I have 4 intakes at the bottom which were drilled 1" in diameter and threaded with 3/4" piple nipples. I started out with all 4 open until the temp started getting close to 200 and then closed all but 1. As time went on and my temps started to drop I started taking 1 cap off of each intake until all 4 were open again. My charcaol ring I was using only measured about 7" in diameter. I plan to make it larger so its about 13-14" in diameter. Hopefully that will allow for longer cook times and more steady temp control

Patrick

The charcoal basket your using, does it have just the holes around the top or do you have holes in the bottom as well? Its hard to tell from your pics. I've seen some people who have the same basket as yourself that cut the bottom out and replace it with expanded metal. Your fire may be choking itself out/not enough air holes in the basket to allow for higher temps.

Patrick

You have WAYYYYYYYYY to much exhaust.
Why all the holes when you got a perfectly good bung?
Close up one or the other but your just letting the heat right out.

I don't have any pictures of just my charcoal basket. Basically I took a water pan from a different smoker I have (you can see it in one of the above pics), and I drilled a bunch of holes all around the sides of it. In the pick above I had only drilled holes around the top. I actually drilled holes all the way around it just about to the bottom of it. Then I put a grill rack on top of that, and I have an expanded metal ring that's 7" in diameter that sits on top of the grill rack. This was just a temporary setup until I could work on making a better long term solution.

Patrick

I am building a UDS and just cut off the top since I plan to use a Weber kettle lid. My question is regarding the exhaust vent on the Weber lid....is it big enough? Or do I need to add another exhaust vent to it? Do you guys who use the kettle lids modify them for more exhaust?

Also, the barrel had some iso-butyl-something-or-other alcohol in it and is unlined. Alcohol is VERY volatile and there is no longer any odor just from being open a couple hours. Should I still burn it out or just season it at a fairly high temp? I am hoping to avoid taking a wire brush to the inside and outside of the thing if possible.

I will take pics and post up when I complete the project.

Thanks!

One more thing......what thermometer do you guys mount on the UDS that gives you ACCURATE temps, and where do you buy them from?? I hope to avoid having a dedicated digital smoker thermo.....just use those for meat temps.

Thanks again!!!

One more thing......what thermometer do you guys mount on the UDS that gives you ACCURATE temps, and where do you buy them from?? I hope to avoid having a dedicated digital smoker thermo.....just use those for meat temps.

Thanks again!!!

i use a turkery deep fryer thermometer... cheap at any store... 12" stem

1020249.jpg

I want a weber lid to increase capacity on my UDS. I cant find one anywhere but I was in walmart and saw a uniflame kettle for 40 $. It would be worth it if I could recycle the food and charcoal grate into a 2nd UDS....what do you guys think? Are the parts sturdy enough?

I want a weber lid to increase capacity on my UDS. I cant find one anywhere but I was in walmart and saw a uniflame kettle for 40 $. It would be worth it if I could recycle the food and charcoal grate into a 2nd UDS....what do you guys think? Are the parts sturdy enough?

Works for me, just a little tweaking. plus I can still use the original, just a little leakage. The grate doesn't compare to Webers though, but cannibalism is worth it. :razz:
IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

I can see several people have not read through the thread.

thanks i'll try it. As for reading through the thread (i'm working on it I'm working on it) it's just long sorry if i'm repeating old stuff i'm new here!

Haven't seen it posted so i'll ask.

Just out of curiosity, what's the largest intake people have used successfully? I am in the process of building my first UDS and to help keep costs down, i'm doing everything I can to use recycled stuff and tools from friends that I need for drilling. The tool I have for drilling the intake holes isn't 1" like I would want, but 1-1/4" so i'm trying to figure out if I should just go with three intake holes or still drill four. I'm using the standard 2" bung hole on the top with a 6" aluminum tubing JB welded to the top since I don't ever see my cooker pushing more than 250. Great forums and information ya'll got here. I've learned sooooo much after reading the UDS posting that I had to buy two reconditioned drums so I could start the project.

Helljack if ya need a 1" step drill to do your project p.m. me your address and I'll send ya one. That's what we do here help others out. This is why they call us Brethren.

Back