So you want to make 125 gal of Brunswick stew today?

Good job guys!!! Looks like a lot of fun:biggrin:

Here's my recipe for 4 pots averaging 20 gal each. You'll have to do the math.

Recipe for 4 pots:

• 12 gal. butterbeans
• 12 gal. corn
• 12 gal. tomatoes (must be crushed tomatoes)
• 60 lbs. potatoes
• 30 lbs. onions
• 45 lbs. beef
• 50 lbs. chicken
• 4 turkey breasts
• One stick of margarine in each pot
• One cup of sugar in each pot

Salt & pepper to taste.

Everything is cut and cooked in advance. This is the way we do it because we need to serve the public at 9 AM. If you are having an afternoon party you can chuck everything in the pot and let in simmer all day.

Brunswick Stew started in Brunswick county, VA. Sorry Noah, Brunswick GA claims to be the originator too but for this thread it started in VA! :mrgreen:

Here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_stew

Note the can of Mrs. Fearnows. This is proof Brunswick Stew is from VA :lol: That product has been made on Hope Farm in Mechanicsvile, VA for as long as I've been alive. If you can find it in your local store, its pretty close to what we make.

But one thing is for sure: making the stew in cast iron pots over an open fire adds a lot of taste!! I know of other churchs and fire depts that make it in big stainless pots over a propane fire :roll: I wouldnt even go smell it much less eat it. Its just not the same.

ok, i'm sold.. where do i sign?
man you can't go wrong with all that. But, what spices do you use along with all those ingredients? anything other than salt and pepper? Anything spicy? Usually anything that looks anything like that - cooked down south is nice and spicy! :biggrin:

Also, why "One stick of margarine in each pot"?? Why not butter, and what does one stick do to 20 gallons of food? Just curious, im a big "butter" fan.

Glad to see some old=fashioned traditions still live on....well Done!

That looks so good!! it would hit the spot right now. The weather here is very fall like. Nothing like a good soup, stew or chili at this time of year. Great food, people, and an even better cause there!
Thanks for the recipe.

Sounds like a heart warming event... wonderful fellowshipping!

Imagine what would happen once there was some Brethren inspired BBQ with the Stew...

Stew and BBQ... nice ring to it.

Americana at its best!! Great food,fellowship and a beautiful little church!! Thanks for the pics!

ok, i'm sold.. where do i sign?
man you can't go wrong with all that. But, what spices do you use along with all those ingredients? anything other than salt and pepper? Anything spicy? Usually anything that looks anything like that - cooked down south is nice and spicy! :biggrin:

Also, why "One stick of margarine in each pot"?? Why not butter, and what does one stick do to 20 gallons of food? Just curious, im a big "butter" fan.

No other spices - just salt & pepper. We're not that far south where it has to be spicy. Brunswick stew is more like a comfort food.

As far as the margarine goes: I asked my dad about that once. He simply said "Thats the way mama wrote out the recipe, so thats what we do".

I wondered about real butter too. But I'll keep doing it the way mama made it. :wink:

Awesome...and I'll let you get away with the VA origination claim....today, cause it was your event and lots of hard work :roll: I make it 2-3 times a year.

That looks like an amazing time. Health department would let us get away with anything like that here. Lucky you!

I'm going to enter that recipe in my cookbook program that should allow me to convert to something a little more easy to cook for the family.

TOTAL comfort food - we LOVE Brunswick stew~! Whatever ya got, put it in the pot!

I'm defrosting a frozen 'stew-sicle' the size of a full pan as we speak... it's starting to get chilly up here. Finally turned on the heat yesterday, so I thought some stew would be in order.

Add in yer fave BBQ sauce (I'm a big roasted corn/sausage/green bean fan too) and it's all good.

Looks like you had yerselves a good time for a good cause. Very pretty church and I'm sure good people. I hope they made all the money!

Thanks for all the kind responses. We love our "Little country church by the side of the road". And we're aweful proud of our bruswick stew. Each year most of it is already sold in pre-sales. Thats why we have to have it ready by 9AM. You'd be surprised by the amount of people who show up early with bags, baskets and coolers ready to pick up their stew!!

It really is a great time. Thanks again.

And Larry, you can make out the royalty checks to: Brauma, Maidens, VA :lol: :wink:

And Larry, you can make out the royalty checks to: Brauma, Maidens, VA :lol: :wink:

I would never sell the super secret, only found here, recipe. I might give it away, but never sell it.

Looks like y'all had a great time. Gotta friend at work from Georgia who introduced me to Brunswick stew a few years ago. Good stuff.

Here's my recipe for 4 pots averaging 20 gal each. You'll have to do the math.

Recipe for 4 pots:

• 12 gal. butterbeans
• 12 gal. corn
• 12 gal. tomatoes (must be crushed tomatoes)
• 60 lbs. potatoes
• 30 lbs. onions
• 45 lbs. beef
• 50 lbs. chicken
• 4 turkey breasts
• One stick of margarine in each pot
• One cup of sugar in each pot

Salt & pepper to taste.

Everything is cut and cooked in advance. This is the way we do it because we need to serve the public at 9 AM. If you are having an afternoon party you can chuck everything in the pot and let in simmer all day.

Brunswick Stew started in Brunswick county, VA. Sorry Noah, Brunswick GA claims to be the originator too but for this thread it started in VA! :mrgreen:

Here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_stew

Note the can of Mrs. Fearnows. This is proof Brunswick Stew is from VA :lol: That product has been made on Hope Farm in Mechanicsvile, VA for as long as I've been alive. If you can find it in your local store, its pretty close to what we make.

But one thing is for sure: making the stew in cast iron pots over an open fire adds a lot of taste!! I know of other churchs and fire depts that make it in big stainless pots over a propane fire :roll: I wouldnt even go smell it much less eat it. Its just not the same.

EDIT: I just realized I made a calculation error. I'll redo tonight and post...

Finally got around to converting this to a more manageable size.

Based on the information provided by Brauma in the thread I attempted to calculate the number of quart servings for the seven batches they made and divided it out. As best as I can figure this resized recipe should come out to around 9 regular sized servings.

I make to claims to accuracy here. Maybe Brauma will chime in here...

5-16 oz cans of Butter Beans
5-16 oz cans of corn
5-16 oz cans of tomatoes (crushed)
6lbs of potatoes
3lbs of onions
4.5lbs of beef
5 pounds of chicken
2 pounds of turkey breast
1 tablespoon of margarine
1.5 tablespoons sugar

Don't have information on how to chop potatoes, onions or meats. I'm sure it's just like any other stew.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't gotten back yet either. Since I like the guy, I'll let him slander Georgia this one time! Great looking stew, and I agree with the wood fire and cast iron. Food just tastes better with a healthy helping of dirt and ashes!

Yeah, I haven't gotten back yet either. Since I like the guy, I'll let him slander Georgia this one time! Great looking stew, and I agree with the wood fire and cast iron. Food just tastes better with a healthy helping of dirt and ashes!

I can't say enough about the use of a cast iron pot over an open fire. It really does add to the taste. You can make Keri C's beans or the stew on the stovetop but its just not the same.

My next task is to get the recipe right for my 5 qt. pot and make a small batch of the stew in my Small Egg.

This is Keri C's Hog Apple Beans:
HogAppleBeans102508bMedium.jpg

Larry, your conversion looks good. Best I can say is to try it. Mail me an airplane ticket and I'll come out and sample it. Hook me up with some fresh Sierra Nevada and we'll tweak it to taste. CA-VA Brethren connection. Good times.

Noah, we all know Brunswick stew is a Virginia thing :wink: I'm starting to question if there even is a Brunswick, GA :shock:

<<Ducking for cover>>>

:lol:

Okay...

The conversion is correct, it's just larger than I had wanted it. Instead of 9 servings the above conversion should yield 18 servings. You can cut it in half or double at your discretion.

How big is your serving? Will this fit in one nice size stock pot?

As far as the potatoes and onions and meats, chop them up small. Potatoes should be no bigger than 1/2" square. Chop onions thin. Shred meat. You dont want a big chunk of anything on your spoon when its done. NTTAWWT. But we're making Brunswick stew here.

Also, use the smaller butterbeans not the huge limas.

Back