I have a Dumb Question

J

jille

I have just orginazed a Back Yard Barbecue Competition, I need to know if there are special forms for judging this competition. I know it is something that everyone should know if they are running a BBQ Competition, but I'm new so please be Kind to this Old Woman!

We are hoping to get this event up and running smoothly, and would like to be able to have one every year. Therefore, we want to get it right the first time out, so that if you do manage to make it to my Island, you will want to come back next year as well.

I would be grateful for any advice you would like to offer.

Thanks,
Jille

I am going to move this to the comp forum for a little more exposure and feedback. I think it warrants that.

Any helpful suggestions for a new member guys?

Go to cattle call and introduce yourself Jille if you haven't already.

We might need a little more info on what you are trying to accomplish with this. Fundraiser, neighborhood get together, etc.?

JILLE: I think that you would be miles ahead of the game by adopting the KCBS rules for your cook off. Even though you might not meet all of the criteria, down the road, you won't have to change the rules. KCBS has a great set of rules for all cookers and is listed on their Web Site.

Please contact me if you have any problems and I will help in what ever way I can!!

Spice

Jille,

It is not a dumb question at all. My suggestion would be to judge the back yard BBQ like you would a sanctioned BBQ Competition. With the score cards etc...I think it would be easier for you and more organized, plus the score cards are already generated, less work for you. I do not think KCBS would have a problem with you using their score cards????? Does anyone know if KCBS would have a problem with Jille using their score cards? Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Bretheran, can u give us any more details, might be easier to answer your questions:wink:

Hey Jille, drop me a line, the GLBBQA may be able to help you with getting this organized. I agree with all of the other suggestions so far, dont try and re-invent the wheel, the KCBS has done a very good job of making rules that are easy to follow and are widely known. Drop me a line and we can move forward.

Responses like this make me proud to be a member of this site. Way to go guys.

Jille - please take Mike & Jay up on their offers. Events like yours are great for educating the public!

I have to tell ya, This is a GREAT site! Lots of info, and great advice.
We are located in Ionia County, between the City of Ionia, and the City of Portland on the Grand River. I have a large Island, that has been under used and hardly anyone knows about it. (I am about to change all of that!) To find us on mapquest, use Lyons, MI 48851, or our web site is www.lyonsvillage.org there is a map button there.
This event is a fundraiser for the future Lyons Skate Park. We have young people who really enjoy skate boarding, and will use just about anything to do tricks, and jumps. Including bike racks. A group of us decided we should get them a place to their stuff, that was safer, and not down the middle of main street. We are also going to help restock the local Food Pantry by taking donations. There is going to be a Breakfast and the proceeds will be going to the Food Pantry as well.
Directions to find us is easy, we are off I-96 halfway between Grand Rapids and Lansing. Take the Lyons-Muir Exit # 73, go north 7 miles follow the street until you come to a blinking light (this will be Downtown Lyons), turn left at the Bank follow the road around the curve, stop at the end of the Fire Department (long brown brick building) and left onto the Island. There is a parking area across from the Fire Department.
The gate to the Island will be open at 2:00 pm Friday, October 5, 07.

Hey Jille, drop me a line, the GLBBQA may be able to help you with getting this organized. I agree with all of the other suggestions so far, dont try and re-invent the wheel, the KCBS has done a very good job of making rules that are easy to follow and are widely known. Drop me a line and we can move forward.
Thank-you all for your suggestions. I have gotten the rules and regulations from the KCBS site along with lots of other great information. Still looking for the judging cards though. In the future I would like to make this an Offical KCBS Competion. But I need to get through this one first. And if I have anything left after this, I will look into making it happen.

Mike,
Thanks, I would be happy for any assistance you may want to offer. The event is October 5th and 6th, so it maybe to late for you to jump in at this point. But if you have any suggestions, or would like to show up and do a walk-a-bout, I would love to have you do so.
Jill

Answer to a Dumb Question

We might need a little more info on what you are trying to accomplish with this. Fundraiser, neighborhood get together, etc.?
:idea: OK, I have attached all of my flyers on this Barbecue for you to look over. If I need to do any corrections, or make some changes, please let me know. :confused:

Attachments

• BBQ MAIN FLIER.pdf
    409.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BBQ CLASS LISTING FLIER.pdf
    101.4 KB · Views: 8
  • GRILL RULES.pdf
    54 KB · Views: 8
  • REGISTER.pdf
    125.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BBQ CAMPING.pdf
    148.9 KB · Views: 6
Still looking for the Judging form.

Welcome to the Bretheran, can u give us any more details, might be easier to answer your questions:wink:

I have attached my forms so you can look them over. I think I have got most of it covered. Its the judging part I am having trouble with.

Attachments

• BBQ CLASS LISTING FLIER.pdf
    101.4 KB · Views: 4
  • GRILL RULES.pdf
    54 KB · Views: 4
  • REGISTER.pdf
    125.1 KB · Views: 1
  • BBQ CAMPING.pdf
    148.9 KB · Views: 3
I have attached my forms so you can look them over. I think I have got most of it covered. Its the judging part I am having trouble with.

J,

Your local KCBS rep should be able to help in the judging area. We have hosted 2 CBBQA "backyards" and our rep Kelly here has been a huge help repping and educating judges for the event. We have not done overnites, as we have had these in my cul de sac each time, but always a lot of fun. PM me if I can be of help!

Chris

J,

Your local KCBS rep should be able to help in the judging area. We have hosted 2 CBBQA "backyards" and our rep Kelly here has been a huge help repping and educating judges for the event. We have not done overnites, as we have had these in my cul de sac each time, but always a lot of fun. PM me if I can be of help!
Chris

OK Folks, just WHO is my Local KCBS rep? If your out there, drop me a line or two. We are located in Michigan, just off I-96 half way between Lansing, and Grand Rapids. Sitting at the bend of the Grand River, and Maple River. (GREAT FISHING for those of you who also like to fish, and was the home of the Maple River Ottawa's once upon a time.)

Hey Jille,

Try Julie Applegate, she is a member here. She was a Rep in training at the Silver Lakes Contest 2 weeks ago. You can also e-mail Mike Lake at the the KCBS and he might be able to get the judging forms for you. You can look her up in the Members list above and send her an e-mail from there.

OK Folks, just WHO is my Local KCBS rep? If your out there, drop me a line or two. We are located in Michigan, just off I-96 half way between Lansing, and Grand Rapids. Sitting at the bend of the Grand River, and Maple River. (GREAT FISHING for those of you who also like to fish, and was the home of the Maple River Ottawa's once upon a time.)

Mike,
Thanks, I would be happy for any assistance you may want to offer. The event is October 5th and 6th, so it maybe to late for you to jump in at this point. But if you have any suggestions, or would like to show up and do a walk-a-bout, I would love to have you do so.
Jill

Hey Jille,

Yep that is a little late, I am also out of town that week. I will send your info to our Board and see if someone can make it out. We would love to discuss future plans with you. We would also love for you to become a member of the GLBBQA!!

you picked a bad weekend as that's the American Royal. I'm in Sparta and I'd help you if I wasn't cooking the Royal. Let us know how the event goes and stick around here and learn. We could help you next year amking it a KCBS event and maybe getting more participation.

Back