Help on Sweet BBQ Beans

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
It's MIL day at the thirdeye household and along with her other favorites she wants BBQ beans. The kind she likes are the canned pork-n-beans, bacon, brown sugar etc. I've had 'em just never made 'em. I'm going to let her guide me but I thought some pro tips may be in order, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen: Any idears?

I like to get a can of pork and beans and also a can of ranch style beans and wash them to get the sauce off of them. Then I add about 1 cup brown sugar and about 1/4 cup brown sugar and simmer until ready. I like to add wright's ends and pieces bacon or some small chunks of brisket as well, along with some pepper and spices. It has a much cleaner taste than just throwing the pork and beans in a dish and adding ingredients.

I like bush's baked beans, throw in a bottle of your favorite cheap bbq sauce, cut up an onion, some salt pork, put it in the oven or on the smoker for a couple of hours...I prefer the smoker for the obvious reason(smoke):biggrin:

Beans

Hog-Apple and you can't go wrong best damn BBQ beans I've ever had and I've had my far share of beans:-D

I take 2 cans of bush beans. 20 oz.???????
I lg onion
1/4 cup of each.......kechup, mustard and brown sugar.
I add a pound of fried burger as well.
350 degrees in oven. stir every half hour for hour and a half. Cover for another hour.

My buddy got this from me and used in in one of his classes he teaches at the UNLV. Culinary class. He is a part time instructor their.
He said they went nuts for this recipe.

Ive also done them below pork butts on the pit. Wow.........folks said.
We didnt cover them.........and they dry out pretty fast on the log burner. We just added a couple of beers.

Good luck Wayne.

I like to add pancake syrup to mine. A little honey doesn't hurt either.

Diane's Baked Beans (she's pissed at me for given this out)

3 cans 16 oz each pork & beans
1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 med onion chopped
1 small sweet green pepper chopped
2 slices bacon
Place beans in large baking dish add pineapple,brown sugar, onion and green pepper, mix well place Bacon on top of beans bake @ 325 for about 1 hour.

PS mix and refrigerate overnight then bake if you have time :-D

Okay, thanks everybody. Good responses for such short notice.

I'm all assembled and ready for the oven. Went pretty much with the Keri C, didn't have any sausage except hot Italian so I left it out and went harder with the bacon. The apples are going to be interesting, they have a good flavor right out of the can. I'll report back.

Well here is the finished product. Taking my opinion with a grain of salt since I prefer pintos or great northerns .... These are good. Really easy too. I know this style of baked beans are popular so its a keeper recipe. (I'll bet they are darn good with the sausage)

DSC02345aaa.jpg

Wayne.....tell us how the MIL liked the beans.
Im sure there awesome. Gool luck brother.

Mike

Diane's Baked Beans (she's pissed at me for given this out)

3 cans 16 oz each pork & beans
1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 med onion chopped
1 small sweet green pepper chopped
2 slices bacon
Place beans in large baking dish add pineapple,brown sugar, onion and green pepper, mix well place Bacon on top of beans bake @ 325 for about 1 hour.

PS mix and refrigerate overnight then bake if you have time :-D

Add a jalepeno and that is the same as mine:-D

Wayne.....tell us how the MIL liked the beans.
Im sure there awesome. Gool luck brother.

Mike

We're sitting down in an hour or so. She did the taste test and gave a thumbs up. She's a little 85 year old German lady, and likes sweet sauces on her barbecue and is big into desserts, so this recipe fit right in.

We're sitting down in an hour or so. She did the taste test and gave a thumbs up. She's a little 85 year old German lady, and likes sweet sauces on her barbecue and is big into desserts, so this recipe fit right in.

I'm with you on preferring the pintos. I don't usually eat sweet beans but I am gonna at least try Hog-Apple beans 'cause everyone seems to love them.

Hope it worked out for you.

Some molasses in those beans will make a difference.

My sister makes some baked beans , had them today in fact< that has a mix of several type of beans. There are pintos and white northern......she buys them already mixed together in cans....and a large can of Bush's. ( I like to throw in kidney beans too).
She told me she doesnt really have a recipe, like my method of cooking, she threw in bacon, some hamburger, mustard, brown sugar, browned onions, molasses, bbq sauce and the beans are about it.

Back