Plum wood

jay185

Reaction score
Has anyone used plum wood in their smokers? I have found a couple places locally selling it. I can get 2 year dry for $50 a truck load or free if I want to go out and cut down the dead trees.

I would think plum would work. Any fruit wood, gives a nice aromatic smell and light smoke flavor. maybe ask for a couple pieces, to test it.

Which would be better the 2 year dried would or the trees from the old orchard. Of course free is always best. Here is the description from the orchard ad. "The orchard was cut down many years ago but a lot of the wood was left behind, branch wood, stumps (they've rotted in the ground so can be kicked over), and some whole dead trees as well." I bought a used double barrel heater that I am turning into a smoker and read that you use wood instead of charcoal.

plum is very good to smoke with stronger than apple but milder and sweeter than hickory. Great on most white meats, including chicken, turkey, fowl. pork and even fish.

Plum is my favorite fruitwood. I believe it's sweet and lighter than apple; more along the lines of cherry. Use for poultry and pork.

Back