Food truck/trailer. Handling hot coals

Chubbs

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm thinking about building a bbq business out of a concession trailer to offer the good people of New Zealand low and slow bbq straight from the smoker and over the coals. Outside of complying with local fire/health department regulations, when it is time to pack up and move on, what are the practical steps you can take to putting out the fire in your smoker/pit/grill while out and about at an event or kerb side. And what do you do with the ash, left over charcoal?

The problem with coals, is that short of drowning them, they can relight. I would consider storing them in a tightly sealed steel container. And I would think having that steel container outside of your vehicle is a good idea. To be honest, I have never done a vend or cook, there I had to take the coals with me.

Most smokers on mobile kitchens are outside on a porch. The smoker that you would have inside are electric, gas or pellet smoker. If you want to have the safest way to go get a pellet smoker.

I've seen a couple backwoods inside enclosed trailers during my google trawling with chimneys up through the roof or under extractors. But I do agree it looks a lot safer working from a deck or ramp, even for lighting starter chimneys.
In New Zealand we don't really have a daily food truck scene and do not operate out of commissaries. So I'd like to include everything I need for prep and cooking on board the trailer to avoid the high price of renting or establishing an offsite registered kitchen. And I want to stay true to the charcoal experience of cooking - but safety and practicality first!

Back