View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #10785
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
Reading through these posts makes me want to build another one :) Some things I would do differently:

1) Find a new drum. I spent more time and energy than its worth to burn, grind, and sand out a drum.
2) I would go with a single intake vent. There are a ton of designs out there with variations such as sliding vent covers or single large ball valves.
3) I used a Weber kettle lid and ended up bolting on a piece of 2" x 1/8" metal to the rim of the top to make a "secure" fit. That process was insanely long and since I didn't have the tools, also expensive. I would definitely pay someone to roll it for me.
4) Find a drum that is thicker gauge to hold the heat. My first drum was awesome. My current drum is too thin and lets the heat escape too much.
5) Wouldn't worry about paint so much. I spent a good amount of time priming, painting, and putting on a clear coat. Guess what happened? After the first smoke, it got dirty and nasty on the outside.

What would you guys do differently?
I would use a new closed end drum and cut the head off with a cutter (insuring a better fit, and eliminating Weber lid). Sacrifice is space for birds on top rack. But I would need to drill holes on the top.