18" charcoal ring on 22.5" WSM

Ringburner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all

Has anybody tried the above to save charcoal on shorter cooks?

Is there any reason why this would be problematic?

Thoughts please?

Cheers

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I've done it, no problems at all. Did it on a 10 hour cook and still had about 1/4 of the coals left over.

Yup do it all the time it works well. đź‘Ť

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

I've used a 18 1/2" ring in my 22 1/2" WSM.
On short or low temperature cooks, it does save some fuel.
On longer or higher temperature cooks, not really.

:idea: I use a home made basket that fits inside the large ring,why don't you save yourself some money and make one from expanded metal.

I don't use a charcoal ring, maybe I'm missing something. I just line up my briquettes in a ring around the outside edge of the grate (on my kettle), light one end and let it burn it's way around. Does this "charcoal ring" enhance this or make it easier or what? I guess what I am asking is, what is the advantage to it?

The charcoal baskets from the Performer are perfect for a shorter cook for doing ribs etc. Just be aware that there isn't nearly as much surface area to burn charcoal, so the WSM will be running with most of the vents wide open. I don't think this would work in cooler temperatures.

code3rrt the reason I use a smaller insert in my larger 22.5 ring is to help keep the charcoal tight so it doesn't spread out and burn faster than I want not to mention I can't estimate just how much fuel I'll need for a smaller cook and don't like to re-use left over charcoal.

code3rrt the reason I use a smaller insert in my larger 22.5 ring is to help keep the charcoal tight so it doesn't spread out and burn faster than I want not to mention I can't estimate just how much fuel I'll need for a smaller cook and don't like to re-use left over charcoal.

I will gladly take your leftover charcoal.Guess shipping would be a deal killer.:rolleyes:

It's how I roll!

I have a couple different sizes that get used in my 22" WSM's and Cajun Bandit.

This one is the same size as an 18" WSM ring, have another made out of expando. Use them for Hot & Fast cooks

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

This is one I made for one of the Mini Smoker Joe's - expando on an SJS charcoal grate, used it many time in the 22's

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

Back